Notts County away 1991?

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
Blue Streak said:
The situation regarding Clive Allen at City always puzzled me? Firstly my Dad wasn't overly impressed when we signed him I seem to recall? I was giddy at us paying over a million quid for a player as a 14 year old as it was the first time since Trevor Francis but my Dad (for whatever reasons?) didn't share my excitement.

Then after Machin left he was (at best) used sparingly by Kendall then almost virtually dismissed by Reid when it was obvious he was a decent striker.

However apart from the one amazing season with Spurs did he actually do much anywhere else?

Very nice bloke though and I know for a fact he applied for the managers job at Maine Road in the 1990's as he had a real feeling for City.

By the way if anyone has the link to this interview on Talksport could they be decent enough to provide it?

I remember his last minute equalizer at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea thought they should have had a penatly at the other end.
No plastic Chelsea fans in those days. It was every man for himself after the final whistle.

He wasn't Rodney Marsh, you know. ;-)

Wasn't that goal at Chelsea a shot from about 35-40 metres out?

He just lobbed it goalwards and it dropped in behind their goalie, IIRC.

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
Blue Streak said:
The situation regarding Clive Allen at City always puzzled me? Firstly my Dad wasn't overly impressed when we signed him I seem to recall? I was giddy at us paying over a million quid for a player as a 14 year old as it was the first time since Trevor Francis but my Dad (for whatever reasons?) didn't share my excitement.

Then after Machin left he was (at best) used sparingly by Kendall then almost virtually dismissed by Reid when it was obvious he was a decent striker.

However apart from the one amazing season with Spurs did he actually do much anywhere else?

Very nice bloke though and I know for a fact he applied for the managers job at Maine Road in the 1990's as he had a real feeling for City.

By the way if anyone has the link to this interview on Talksport could they be decent enough to provide it?

I remember his last minute equalizer at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea thought they should have had a penatly at the other end.No plastic Chelsea fans in those days. It was every man for himself after the final whistle.

I thought Allen was a good player, but signed at the wrong time.

I'll try and find the Talksport link. It was one of those interviews when you find yourself laughing before you've even heard the punchline. Also he was really complimentary about the City fans.

What a goal that was.

I was there. It was quite bleak and uncrowded at the open end.

As for Notts County I was there too, but in with the home fans. Strange match, strange stadium.

One of my mates is a decorator and was doing a job at Platt Lane around this time. I remember him telling me that there were only 2 people who chatted to them and had a laugh with them. Kendal and Clive Allen

2 points but and i say but first things first ?did he come on at port vale and with his first touch headed at goal we got a corner and next chance from the corner he hit the onion bag?

secondly was the notts county game the one wen harpers 25 yarder was just over and with mins left quinn rose with a top chance only to be pulled down by every humbug arm on the pitch ?
all i remember from my trip to notts county is the snowbal fight with the boys in blue anyone care to elaborate as i have stated its a question lads ok

billfromthehill said:
2 points but and i say but first things first ?did he come on at port vale and with his first touch headed at goal we got a corner and next chance from the corner he hit the onion bag?

secondly was the notts county game the one wen harpers 25 yarder was just over and with mins left quinn rose with a top chance only to be pulled down by every humbug arm on the pitch ?
all i remember from my trip to notts county is the snowbal fight with the boys in blue anyone care to elaborate as i have stated its a question lads ok

The Port vale Cup tie was the previous season to the Notts County match and yes Allen did score the winner soon after coming on, I think Darren Beckford scored for Port Vale before Quinn equalised.

The Notts County match the OP is talking about finished 3-1 to City, Allen scored twice coming on as sub, one was a pen and it was quite funny because as the ref was awarding the pen Danny Hoekman, a Dutch lad we had on loan IIRC, slammed the loose ball into the net, thought he'd scored on his debut and ran off celebrating only to find that the pen had already been given.

I was at both of them.
Clive is in my top 5 city players of all time. He always made the keeper work.
But Reid wouldn't play him, as we had the goal machine Adrian Heath in the team, and Clive hadnt played for Everton.
After City end had been singing "you dont know what your doing/what the fvck is going on" to our management at Notts County, they eventually brought Clive on, who bagged with his first touch, and jumped on the fence at our end to celebrate. He was the first player Ive ever seen kiss his badge that day. Nowadays they all do it - but he was the first for me.
Treated disgracefully given his ability.

Just to clarify the Notts County game;

His first touch was a goal bound shot that was handballed on the line for a penalty.
His second touch was the penalty.
His 3rd touch was a volley into the bottom corner.

He then scored again midweek against Chester in the League Cup (played at Edgeley Park). The idiot Reid then sold him to Chelsea and a few weeks later he scored against Ciry at Stamford Bridge.

I was at that game, funnily enough it was only the other week when me and my mates were discussing who was the best penalty taker City had ever had, I went for Allen as he always seemed to put 'em in off the inside of the post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.