Notts County Away

tueartsboots said:
Swales lives said:
I remember that game well. I was around 17 at the time. Billy McNeill on the pitch at halftime trying to calm the City fans down as they tried to rip the fence down behind the goal. My over-riding memory of that day was looking up at the seats where a bunch of Blues dressed as clowns were going toe-to-toe with the police. It was probably the funniest thing I've seen at a match. Lost 3-2 that day.
see my link a couple of posts up- I was there too

Haha, what a mad day that was. Loved that review from the link you posted. Her'es a bit of it:
Meadow Lane witnessed one of the worst incidents of crowd trouble in its' history on this May bank holiday afternoon. With just two games of the season remaining, 10,000 Manchester City fans flocked to Nottingham hoping to see their team claim the final promotion place, a victory for City would all but mathematically put them out of reach of 4th placed Portsmouth (who were three points behind with an inferior goal difference - there were no play off's in those days). Notts on the other hand were still in with a chance of staying up after a late revival under Jimmy Sirrel following the sacking of Richie Barker. Next to bottom of the table County were now only two points behind 4th bottom Middlesbrough. The first half was probably the most jaw dropping first half display I've ever seen from a Notts team, 3 goals in 13 minutes whipped Notts fans into ecstasy, it was absolutely incredible. Then at half-time the City fans decided to start a riot, fencing at the Kop end was torn down, supporters ran onto the pitch, a fire extinguisher was let off in the County Road and fights broke out. Mounted Police were then called in to try and clear the turf of City fans seemingly hell bent on getting the match abandoned. It was absolute chaos and, as it was a warm afternoon, I was wearing my Admiral pinstripe Notts shirt with no jumper or coat available to cover it, I feared I wouldn't be able to get out of the ground alive! The match was delayed for 30 minutes with both managers making appeals on the tannoy for calm.

Swales lives said:
tueartsboots said:

Haha, what a mad day that was. Loved that review from the link you posted. Her'es a bit of it:
Meadow Lane witnessed one of the worst incidents of crowd trouble in its' history on this May bank holiday afternoon. With just two games of the season remaining, 10,000 Manchester City fans flocked to Nottingham hoping to see their team claim the final promotion place, a victory for City would all but mathematically put them out of reach of 4th placed Portsmouth (who were three points behind with an inferior goal difference - there were no play off's in those days). Notts on the other hand were still in with a chance of staying up after a late revival under Jimmy Sirrel following the sacking of Richie Barker. Next to bottom of the table County were now only two points behind 4th bottom Middlesbrough. The first half was probably the most jaw dropping first half display I've ever seen from a Notts team, 3 goals in 13 minutes whipped Notts fans into ecstasy, it was absolutely incredible. Then at half-time the City fans decided to start a riot, fencing at the Kop end was torn down, supporters ran onto the pitch, a fire extinguisher was let off in the County Road and fights broke out. Mounted Police were then called in to try and clear the turf of City fans seemingly hell bent on getting the match abandoned. It was absolute chaos and, as it was a warm afternoon, I was wearing my Admiral pinstripe Notts shirt with no jumper or coat available to cover it, I feared I wouldn't be able to get out of the ground alive! The match was delayed for 30 minutes with both managers making appeals on the tannoy for calm.
and you lot say Celtic v Rangers are bad ;)

mrt4919 said:
Leicester will be lucky to win a corner in the replay.
Got me thinking about the last time I went to Notts County.
Thousands and thousands of blues there probably 10 to 15 thousend
0-3 down at half time on a promotion push,was in the open end and Blues everywhere all over the ground, decided we wanted the match abandoned.
It kicked of big style .
From memory the second half delayed maybe 15-20 minutes.
Knew a county fan a few years back and he said that it was the most violent match he had ever been to.
We lost
Won promotion at Bradford away though but thats another story

one of my best away days ever. Total chaos.

Oooooohhhh you've jinxed it now!
We beat them 7-0 at home in the league cup, third division season. Played them away in the league a few weeks later and dominated from the first whistle. But in typical City style, were a goal down with five minutes left. The centre forward ambled through on his sixth one on one and hit it straight at the keeper, to the disgust and derision of the packed away end. I turned to my brother and said 'this twat is fucking useless, its time Royle fucked him off'. Fortunately, the rebound came straight back to Shaun Goater and he tucked it away. He, and City, never looked back. That game, for me, was a turning point in our history. There would be bad days, but the Goat finally had belief and the good days were far more common.
And remember. Left out of the station, left again, 500 yards straight on and HOOTERS!!!! is across the road. Cheesy, overpriced but has to be done

LongsightM13 said:
Oooooohhhh you've jinxed it now!
We beat them 7-0 at home in the league cup, third division season. Played them away in the league a few weeks later and dominated from the first whistle. But in typical City style, were a goal down with five minutes left. The centre forward ambled through on his sixth one on one and hit it straight at the keeper, to the disgust and derision of the packed away end. I turned to my brother and said 'this twat is fucking useless, its time Royle fucked him off'. Fortunately, the rebound came straight back to Shaun Goater and he tucked it away. He, and City, never looked back. That game, for me, was a turning point in our history. There would be bad days, but the Goat finally had belief and the good days were far more common.
And remember. Left out of the station, left again, 500 yards straight on and HOOTERS!!!! is across the road. Cheesy, overpriced but has to be done

Yes!

Hooters will be the first and only port of call if we get through.

The birds in there are unreal.

Swales lives said:
tueartsboots said:

"Bit of brick n knuckle, bit of brick n knukle, ello,elllooooo "
Guvners were well in charge then, I was 16 or so

stonerblue said:
mrt4919 said:
Leicester will be lucky to win a corner in the replay.
Got me thinking about the last time I went to Notts County.
Thousands and thousands of blues there probably 10 to 15 thousend
0-3 down at half time on a promotion push,was in the open end and Blues everywhere all over the ground, decided we wanted the match abandoned.
It kicked of big style .
From memory the second half delayed maybe 15-20 minutes.
Knew a county fan a few years back and he said that it was the most violent match he had ever been to.
We lost
Won promotion at Bradford away though but thats another story

It was fuckin' mental. Boiling hot, I think drink might have contributed to the mischievous mood of the fans. 17,000 at the match, 10,000 of em City. Not a bad turnout.

Swales lives said:
stonerblue said:

It was fuckin' mental. Boiling hot, I think drink might have contributed to the mischievous mood of the fans. 17,000 at the match, 10,000 of em City. Not a bad turnout.

I'm sure they stopped us drinking in Nottingham centre on the day. Luckily i lived there a year or two before and took the coach i was on (full of very big blokes from Rochdale) to a pub just off the motorway, about 4 miles out of the centre, that didn't dare refuse us.
I was only a kid meself and boozing from 9am, taxing the offy and services and scrapping with coppers was great fun.

I was up the floodlights when it started to kick-off

brooklandsblue2.0 said:
I remember Notts county knocked us out of the FA cup in the early 90's with a 89th min goal by Gary Lund (I still remember!)..... I was a kid and dead upset, I did not realise that teams in lower leagues were allowed to beat higher up teams! Also my dad promised to take me to Wembely if we got to the final that year and I was convinced we were going.....I remember he came home that night and bought me a mars bar...amazing what you remember.

We battered them just about the whole game but Steve Cherry had one of those days when he looked the best keeper on the planet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.