Notts County Away

mrt4919 said:
Leicester will be lucky to win a corner in the replay.
Got me thinking about the last time I went to Notts County.
Thousands and thousands of blues there probably 10 to 15 thousend
0-3 down at half time on a promotion push,was in the open end and Blues everywhere all over the ground, decided we wanted the match abandoned.
It kicked of big style .
From memory the second half delayed maybe 15-20 minutes.
Knew a county fan a few years back and he said that it was the most violent match he had ever been to.
We lost
Won promotion at Bradford away though but thats another story

I was at that game too. We started in a pub in at 7am and went for it big style convinced we'd get promotion that day. At 2-0 down I sat down on the terracing and fell asleep (possibly due to the couple of beers I'd had). I missed the pitch invasion and everything else, woke up at gone 5pm and just thought why the hell is the match still on. Whistle went and somehow I managed to get back to my coach and slept all the way home. It was only when I got home that I found out there had been a bit of a riot by City fans. So I was there but wasn't if you know what I mean.

mrt4919 said:
Leicester will be lucky to win a corner in the replay.
Got me thinking about the last time I went to Notts County.
Thousands and thousands of blues there probably 10 to 15 thousend
0-3 down at half time on a promotion push,was in the open end and Blues everywhere all over the ground, decided we wanted the match abandoned.
It kicked of big style .
From memory the second half delayed maybe 15-20 minutes.
Knew a county fan a few years back and he said that it was the most violent match he had ever been to.
We lost
Won promotion at Bradford away though but thats another story

I pity the fool who presumes City will beat any team.

Been a few times but the ones that stand out are the 3-2 defeat. I still think the second half was fixed for us to score two goals and then not attack so we'd go home without kicking off again. That's how I remember it anyway.

The other was the FA CUP game, their keeper had let in something like 15/16 goasl in his last four games against us. But that day he was outstanding. Another broken blue dream ;(

I was at that 3.2 game. It was mental. We were packed in like sardines. I got the train with a couple of mates and almost every table was thrown out of the windows in our carriage. Football in the 80's was crackers!

citykev28 said:
can anyone tell me more about the notts county game on 11th september? it's a game that intrigues me and that poster earlier suggested that it was a surreal match.

it was played the evening on the terrorist attacks in new york, so guessing it was bit strange, i actually flew out that morning to malia so i wasnt at the game.

oh and why does the guy starting this thread think we'll walk past leicester??

There were some lads having a kickabout at HT in the penalty box, and I am sure Jimmy Sirrell came out of the dressing room at halftime and said "If you don't get off the pitch, we will abandon the game". It was at that point the place mental.

Oldham away comes close to the complete mayhem that tookplace that day.

Anyone remember the burger van on fire?

Oh Blackburn away when they wanted to charge us 70p and everyone went in the home end for 50p.

Here's a photo from August 1998? Division 2 (Old Division 3) 1 - 1

nqyat0.jpg

citykev28 said:
can anyone tell me more about the notts county game on 11th september? it's a game that intrigues me and that poster earlier suggested that it was a surreal match.

The earlier poster was right describing it as surreal. It just seemed wrong to be at a football match considering what had happened and was happening in the states. Keving Keegan was quoted afterwards as saying he had tried to get the game postponed and it was wrong to be playing football on a day when so many people had died. Some people seemed to be able to ignore it and just watch the game but I think most had their minds elsewhere.

I know I thought should I go or not but listening that the games were still going ahead and with tickets for my kids and me already paid for I decided to go. Listened to the radio all the way there and back about what was happening in the states. Felt guilty for going watching a match and I agree with Keegan that it should have been postponed.

robsta said:
citykev28 said:

The earlier poster was right describing it as surreal. It just seemed wrong to be at a football match considering what had happened and was happening in the states. Keving Keegan was quoted afterwards as saying he had tried to get the game postponed and it was wrong to be playing football on a day when so many people had died. Some people seemed to be able to ignore it and just watch the game but I think most had their minds elsewhere.

I know I thought should I go or not but listening that the games were still going ahead and with tickets for my kids and me already paid for I decided to go. Listened to the radio all the way there and back about what was happening in the states. Felt guilty for going watching a match and I agree with Keegan that it should have been postponed.

I thought it was a good game though!

I remember listening to Mike Parry on (the fledgling radio channel) Talksport describing the scenes from NY as I drove over. It was very strange and I kept wondering whether the game would be on especially as "porky" was trying his best to get all sport cancelled that day.

There was also the game at Meadow Lane when Notts were in the top flight which we won 2-1 I think, Mike Sheron scoring and Danny Hoekman making his appearance. Clive Allen scored a pen i think. It was in that peiod when we won 4 away games on the bounce.

The Gary Lund / Steve Cherry games still gives me nightmares.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.