"Nymphs" painting removed.

I'm not sure that there's anything wrong with being concerned about the suppression of freedoms that don't directly impact on us. Turning a blind eye and hoping that they never come for us appears to me to be infinitely worse.

No freedoms have been suppressed. The painting has not been taken down for good.

It has been temporarily taken down and will be a part of another exhibition.

No freedoms have been suppressed. The painting has not been taken down for good.

I hope you are right, but if the comments they receive are negative towards the work, I expect the artist to demand its permanent removal.

In fact it has now been restored to its place in the gallery - so muck knee jerk reaction to this from people who didn't research, didn't open their minds to the project or just who a serial moaners - so many people in the modern world from President to street cleaners who do not see ignorance as an impediment to making a comment - and I would include myself in that from time to time. Its best to rad up on a subject before flying off the handle - the result may be you still go off on one but it should then be an informed rant.

In fact it has now been restored to its place in the gallery - so muck knee jerk reaction to this from people who didn't research, didn't open their minds to the project or just who a serial moaners - so many people in the modern world from President to street cleaners who do not see ignorance as an impediment to making a comment - and I would include myself in that from time to time. Its best to rad up on a subject before flying off the handle - the result may be you still go off on one but it should then be an informed rant.
The majority of conceptual art is wank though.

In your opinion - art - including music - is really about personal taste and appreciation

I just think there needs to be an element of skill, craft or talent that underpins a piece of art - something missing from many pieces of conceptual art. A lot of conceptual art is 'thought provoking', but then anything is thought provoking if you attach metaphor and symbolism to it.

Take Tracey Emin's 'bed' and 'tent': there's absolutely no skill involved in the creation - just an idea. I can't take it seriously because it doesn't need any talent to be created.

I just think there needs to be an element of skill, craft or talent that underpins a piece of art - something missing from many pieces of conceptual art. A lot of conceptual art is 'thought provoking', but then anything is thought provoking if you attach metaphor and symbolism to it.

Take Tracey Emin's 'bed' and 'tent': there's absolutely no skill involved in the creation - just an idea. I can't take it seriously because it doesn't need any talent to be created.

The talent is in the idea though - the vision. As I say just because you don't get it doesn't mean its rubbish. You just are not attuned to what the artist is trying to say. I don't like the works of Stormzy or Ed Sheeran - the levels of appreciation of others tells me I am in a minority - not wrong not right just in a minority

The talent is in the idea though - the vision. As I say just because you don't get it doesn't mean its rubbish. You just are not attuned to what the artist is trying to say. I don't like the works of Stormzy or Ed Sheeran - the levels of appreciation of others tells me I am in a minority - not wrong not right just in a minority

It's not about me 'not getting' an idea or vision; it's about my needing some sort of talent or skill to produce a piece of art which carries the idea or vision. I may not like Stormzy or Ed Sheeran, but I understand that there is some inherent skill in how they produce their art - I couldn't do it and neither could lots of others. The 'bed' and 'tent' need absolutely zero talent or skill to be created, only an 'idea' in itself. I could make the 'bed' and have an amazing concept that I feel the bed represents, but I wouldn't be an artist.

Simply put, I just don't think having an idea makes you an artist or even talented, it's how you artistically represent the idea, be it a painting, piece of music or novel that's important. If it takes zero skill to make the thing that carries the idea, the idea can still be valuable, but the 'art' is pretty pointless.

Last edited:
It's not about me 'not getting' an idea or vision; it's about my needing some sort of talent or skill to produce a piece of art which carries the idea or vision. I may not like Stormzy or Ed Sheeran, but I understand that there is some inherent skill in how they produce their art - I couldn't do it and neither could lots of others. The 'bed' and 'tent' need absolutely zero talent or skill to be created, only an 'idea' in itself. I could make the 'bed' and have an amazing concept that I feel the bed represents, but I wouldn't be an artist.

Simply put, I just don't think having an idea makes you an artist or even talented, it's how you artistically represent the idea, be it a painting, piece of music or novel that's important. If it takes zero skill to make the thing that carries the idea, the idea can still be valuable, but the 'art' is pretty pointless.
Deep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.