"Nymphs" painting removed.

It's not about me 'not getting' an idea or vision; it's about my needing some sort of talent or skill to produce a piece of art which carries the idea or vision. I may not like Stormzy or Ed Sheeran, but I understand that there is some inherent skill in how they produce their art - I couldn't do it and neither could lots of others. The 'bed' and 'tent' need absolutely zero talent or skill to be created, only an 'idea' in itself. I could make the 'bed' and have an amazing concept that I feel the bed represents, but I wouldn't be an artist.

Simply put, I just don't think having an idea makes you an artist or even talented, it's how you artistically represent the idea, be it a painting, piece of music or novel that's important. If it takes zero skill to make the thing that carries the idea, the idea can still be valuable, but the 'art' is pretty pointless.

But again that statement is all about what you consider to be talent or skill - I am not knocking you but its about how different people see things and appreciate them and thats the case for both artist and consumer.

But again that statement is all about what you consider to be talent or skill - I am not knocking you but its about how different people see things and appreciate them and thats the case for both artist and consumer.

I don't think that's true. There is no 'skill' or 'talent' in making a bed, or placing a glass of water on a shelf or having an empty room as your piece of art. You could argue that there is an idea behind it, even a fantastic idea, but no skill. I imagine pretty much everybody could 'make' the three installations I have described and if that is the case, where is the skill or talent in the 'making'?

I don't think that's true. There is no 'skill' or 'talent' in making a bed, or placing a glass of water on a shelf or having an empty room as your piece of art. You could argue that there is an idea behind it, even a fantastic idea, but no skill. I imagine pretty much everybody could 'make' the three installations I have described and if that is the case, where is the skill or talent in the 'making'?
Art really is in the eye of the beholder. Modern art leaves me cold but there are so many museums dedicated to it that it must have some inherent worth. Just because you it or I can’t see any skill in it doesn’t mean there wasn’t any.

Art really is in the eye of the beholder. Modern art leaves me cold but there are so many museums dedicated to it that it must have some inherent worth. Just because you it or I can’t see any skill in it doesn’t mean there wasn’t any.

In the three installations that I described, all examples of conceptual art, was there any skill or craft in their physical creation? The answer is no. There wasn't. I could put up a shelf and place a glass of water on it, arrange a messy bed or leave a room empty. Was there some inherent worth in the idea or concept, that's up to you to decide, but you couldn't in all seriousness state that it took any talent to make.

If you believe that art doesn't need skill to be created, that ultimately the idea is the main event and the making and creating of the box it comes wrapped up in doesn't matter, then fine, that's a diffetent debate. All I am saying is that the creating and making, for me, should be an integral part of the overall quality of the art being presented. Otherwise, anything that is made or created is art and has equal value to anything else, because the eye of the beholder says so.

In the three installations that I described, all examples of conceptual art, was there any skill or craft in their physical creation? The answer is no. There wasn't. I could put up a shelf and place a glass of water on it, arrange a messy bed or leave a room empty. Was there some inherent worth in the idea or concept, that's up to you to decide, but you couldn't in all seriousness state that it took any talent to make.

If you believe that art doesn't need skill to be created, that ultimately the idea is the main event and the making and creating of the box it comes wrapped up in doesn't matter, then fine, that's a diffetent debate. All I am saying is that the creating and making, for me, should be an integral part of the overall quality of the art being presented. Otherwise, anything that is made or created is art and has equal value to anything else, because the eye of the beholder says so.

You've just described post modernism.

In fact it has now been restored to its place in the gallery - so muck knee jerk reaction to this from people who didn't research, didn't open their minds to the project or just who a serial moaners - so many people in the modern world from President to street cleaners who do not see ignorance as an impediment to making a comment - and I would include myself in that from time to time. Its best to rad up on a subject before flying off the handle - the result may be you still go off on one but it should then be an informed rant.
Restored because of the violent reaction to its removal.

This thread looks a bit daft now.

But political correctness has gone mad now though. You're not even allowed to squeeze random womens' arses anymore or call gay people benders either. It's mental, oops, can't say mental anymore either, I heard someone down the pub who said that was true because it might insult some nutter or something. I hate the modern world.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.