Obscure City players - anyone remember any of these?

Anyone remember Gordon Daizell, who played in the 1983 Scottish FA Cup Final for Rangers, and then joined City for a brief spell mid 83-84?
Not sure if was his debut, but he certainly featured in the 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge, when Tolmie scored from a free kick. Now that was a scary aftermath!
Wasn't Phil Henson the late substitute for Dennis Law in the back heel game?

I also played cricket against Darren Beckford a few years ago which felt a bit strange. Derek Jeffries spends a lot of time at Reddish Golf Club, but whatever happened to Geoff Hammond?
That was Dalziel's debut, we had an all Scottish 7 to 11 for that game, McNab, Dalziel, Parlane, Hartford and Tolmie.

Yes, Henson did sub for Law in the relegation derby and Geoff Hammond left us for Charlton and according to wiki went to play in the States after that.

That was Dalziel's debut, we had an all Scottish 7 to 11 for that game, McNab, Dalziel, Parlane, Hartford and Tolmie.

Yes, Henson did sub for Law in the relegation derby and Geoff Hammond left us for Charlton and according to wiki went to play in the States after that.

There was another Scot, who played one game that season, against Torquay away in the league Cup Sept 83 and I thought he did good - but he was shipped back to Morton.... Dominic Sullivan
Along with Duncan Davidson (scored an injury time winner from the bench against Swansea, the ball hit the post and cannoned off the keepers back and into the net) we had a right bunch of Jocks at the club! Ken McNaught was on loan around the same time from Villa and Gordon Smith joined from Brighton.... he was disliked because ''and Smith must score'' but he didn't and the rags won the reply..... but he was top scorer the following promotion season, a cultured player and also a surname of a local top beat combo ;)

Greame Sinclair also made his debut (on loan) at full back against Chelsea in the league cup in 84........
Played the following game against Pompey and went back to Celtic!

Peter Bodak - a) truly fecking awful player b) signed him from the rags on a free (those mugs paid a fee to Coventry for him) two particular memories of him, first playing against us for Coventry in an FA Cup tie, we lost 3-1 at home I think & he looked decent, might if scored as well. Second during his awful spell with us taking on an Ipswich full back in fron of the Kippax and literally falling over & losing the ball - garbage if the highest order, just seemed to disappear/leave the club pre season 83-84 I think

Peter Bodak - a) truly fecking awful player b) signed him from the rags on a free (those mugs paid a fee to Coventry for him) two particular memories of him, first playing against us for Coventry in an FA Cup tie, we lost 3-1 at home I think & he looked decent, might if scored as well. Second during his awful spell with us taking on an Ipswich full back in fron of the Kippax and literally falling over & losing the ball - garbage if the highest order, just seemed to disappear/leave the club pre season 83-84 I think

Bodak's goal against us in that cup tie for Coventry was quite a spectacular lob from long range. From memory, it was their third, late on, which put paid to any hopes of a City comeback to earn a replay. However, I might be wrong on that as my recollections these days aren't quite as reliable as they once were.

IIRC, Billy McNeill sacked Bodak along with Bobby McDonald after they went on a drinking binge in Blackpool, where City had gone for a pre-season friendly ahead of the 1983/4 campaign. I seem to remember that McDonald just accepted his fate and signed for Oxford, but Bodak challenged his dismissal through the PFA. I think we may have ended up having to pay off his contract, but I can't be sure about that.

We bought Bodak from Coventry (not from the rags) soon after he scored in that cup tie. But you're right about his lack of talent.

Bodak's goal against us in that cup tie for Coventry was quite a spectacular lob from long range. From memory, it was their third, late on, which put paid to any hopes of a City comeback to earn a replay. However, I might be wrong on that as my recollections these days aren't quite as reliable as they once were.

IIRC, Billy McNeill sacked Bodak along with Bobby McDonald after they went on a drinking binge in Blackpool, where City had gone for a pre-season friendly ahead of the 1983/4 campaign. I seem to remember that McDonald just accepted his fate and signed for Oxford, but Bodak challenged his dismissal through the PFA. I think we may have ended up having to pay off his contract, but I can't be sure about that.
It was a lob you're right, great goal on the counter as we were chasing an equaliser. Remember Bobby Mac getting sacked, he and Gerry Gow were regulars in the same pubs as my dad at the time, didn't Welsh full back Ian Davies get fired as well in this incident?

We bought Bodak from Coventry (not from the rags) soon after he scored in that cup tie. But you're right about his lack of talent.
No definitely at the rags before us, think they paid about 250k for him then released him, very odd, manager was Fat Ron so not sure on the reasoning

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.