Official - City end interest in Eto'o [merged]

Re: Samuel Eto'o [merged]

svennis pennis said:
John over on mancityfans has translated it, looks very good.

Ah - movement!!

Sport.es and others concentrate on Laporta's appearance on TV when he said that he had tried to call Eto'o a number of times but he hadn't answered - 'maybe they don't want me to speak to him?'

More importantly, MD has an article from 3 hours ago headlined 'Eto'o decides to go':

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/2009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/2009</a> ... harse.html

It says there are 3 substantial new things in this:
1) The player doesn't want to carry on at Barca
2) Manchester City demand a response within 48 hours
3) Barca have no intention of receiving (themselves) less than 25M for him

The last passage is also very revealing:

In fact, the English have warned that they need an immediate response. They have taken a firm stance. They will not pay more than they have already offered. If there isn't a rapid agreement, they will change the target. Barca may be able to wait, but not them.

In fact the English club, property of Sheik Mansour Zayed Al Nahyam, arrives in Abu Dhabi (BOARD MEETING I THINK) on the 15th and want to have signed Samuel Eto'o who, besides being a marquee signing, will be their greatest introduction to South Africa, where City will spend pre-season - and where Samuel is the personification of the next World Cup.

Light at the end of the tunnel!

Not having a go but that is all supposition.

Also The Sport article relates to a TV interview given by Laporta where he states what we already knew.

twinkletoes said:
svennis pennis said:

Ah - movement!!

Sport.es and others concentrate on Laporta's appearance on TV when he said that he had tried to call Eto'o a number of times but he hadn't answered - 'maybe they don't want me to speak to him?'

More importantly, MD has an article from 3 hours ago headlined 'Eto'o decides to go':

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/2009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/2009</a> ... harse.html

In fact, the English have warned that they need an immediate response. They have taken a firm stance. They will not pay more than they have already offered. If there isn't a rapid agreement, they will change the target. Barca may be able to wait, but not them.

In fact the English club, property of Sheik Mansour Zayed Al Nahyam, arrives in Abu Dhabi (BOARD MEETING I THINK) on the 15th and want to have signed Samuel Eto'o who, besides being a marquee signing, will be their greatest introduction to South Africa, where City will spend pre-season - and where Samuel is the personification of the next World Cup.

Also The Sport article relates to a TV interview given by Laporta where he states what we already knew.

Well the South Africa bit is new and the fact it was very recent shows its still in motion. Unlike our press who continually report eto'o alongside Kaka as rejecting us.

if we dont want to change the amount offerd, he will be a steal at 25 million

svennis pennis said:
twinkletoes said:
svennis pennis said:

Ah - movement!!

Well the South Africa bit is new and the fact it was very recent shows its still in motion. Unlike our press who continually report eto'o alongside Kaka as rejecting us.

I don't doubt that we are still in for Eto'o and that there is a good chance we will get him but this new info can't really be taken as gospel.

I would think the owners have made it abundantly clear thta Eto´o is whole reasoning behind the Saffa tour - the centrepiece designed to get lift off in Africa

At least its news twinkletoes, positive news on our behalf and nowhere does it mention the rags so they are nowhere on the radar of this deal in Spain. This thread has stagnated for a good 4 days so now it looks as though we could be moving again, hopefully with a strict timescale.

svennis pennis said:
At least its news twinkletoes, positive news on our behalf and nowhere does it mention the rags so they are nowhere on the radar of this deal in Spain. This thread has stagnated for a good 4 days so now it looks as though we could be moving again, hopefully with a strict timescale.
ç

The link isn't working for me???

Now being reported in the Daily Fail.

Samuel Eto'o gives Manchester City hope as Barcelona chief admits the striker is not taking his calls
By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 11:33 AM on 09th July 2009

Comments (0)
Add to My Stories

Exasperated Barcelona president Joan Laporta admits he can't get hold of Manchester City target Samuel Eto'o.

Hanging on the telephone: Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o

The European champions are desperate to resolve the Cameroon striker's future, but Eto'o is not answering Laporta's calls.

The 28-year-old's contract at the Nou Camp runs out next year and Barca would prefer to sell him to City now rather than lose him for nothing next summer.

City are understood to have offered £25m for Eto'o and would make him the best paid player in the world on £180,000 a week after tax.

Barcelona have offered him a two-year extension without a pay rise but Eto'o is making both sides wait amid suggestions in Spain that he is hoping Manchester United will enter the race.

Laporta said: 'I have called him a couple of times but he hasn't answered his mobile. I don't know if he has changed the number or whether he's lost it, but I would like to speak to him.'

Barca have also been trying to land Spain striker David Villa from debt-ridden Valencia, who are distracted by a boardroom battle for control of the club.

More...
Fabregas tug of war - Barca and Real do battle for £40m Arsenal skipper Cesc
Chelsea skipper Terry: Are you sure you want to keep me at the Bridge?
City bid for ex-United star Rossi way short of Villarreal's £35m reserve
Messi warns Arsenal and Liverpool - I hope Cesc and Javier join me at Barca
MANCHESTER CITY FC NEWS FROM ACROSS THE NET
'There have been negotiations to find out his availability but we haven't stated a time or money limit,' he said.

'We have made an offer to (Valencia president) Manuel Llorente that is closer to 40m euros (£34.5m) than 50m (£43m).'

Laporta also took a swipe at arch-rivals Real Madrid for their spending spree that has dominated the headlines.

'We make Ballon d'Or winners and others have to buy them. It's fine by me that Real have bought Cristiano Ronaldo but at present Barcelona are the point of reference for everyone," said Laporta.

New camp: Barca coach Pep Guardiola wants to improve his European Cup-winning squad

'Real have erupted aggressively into the transfer market and distorted reality. We could go into debt like Madrid but it isn't our way of operating.

'We already have a competitive team and all we want to do is to make some prudent investments.'

He said coach Pep Guardiola has asked for reinforcements at full back, centre-back, in midfield and a striker - and he refused to rule out a move for Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas

The suggestions in Spain are from the NOTW story. I saw their name mentioned several times in spanish articles. Its amazing how these stories go full circle.

svennis pennis said:

I don't think United were ever going in for him. I think it's City or stay at a club that doesn't really want you.

It's ironic that they can't get a hold of Eto'o when you consider the following:
the Cameroonian striker revealed in a Match! magazine interview that he is the proud owner of over 400 mobile phones.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.