Offside rule changed after Silva's goal against Villa

It’s not saying that. It’s saying that if the challenge comes in immediately after a player has deliberately played the ball then that should be considered offside too, not just during that attempt to deliberately play it.

On a lot of occasions, it already was interpreted that way. That’s why this is additional guidance rather than a law change as such.
But what does immediately even mean, is that two touches or a specific amount of time... or what colour shirt they are wearing?

The important part is here for me:
, the match officials should prioritise challenging an opponent for the ball, and thus the offside offence of "interfering with an opponent by impacting on the opponent's ability to play the ball" should be penalised.
Why not just say they have to have the ball under control or successfully played the ball first time before the phase of play is reset. There's no need to leave it open to interpretation like that, with how immediate it was or whether the other player was judged to have been impacting the opponent enough.

You can see clear as day if someone miscontrols a ball or skews a pass.

Last edited:
Thing is, Mings did (or should) have the ball under control after his first touch / chest of the ball with Rodri 5 yards away. How many touches are deemed for a supposed professional to have the ball under control ?. Shouldn't be playing for England if he and all these so called experts are saying it takes him more than one.

But what does that even mean, is that two touches or a specific amount of time... or what colour shirt they are wearing?

Depends on the situation I imagine. We had one in the Cheltenham game where Laporte controlled it, their striker was running back from an offside position and played it and was given offside for it as Laporte hadn’t had chance to properly play the ball.

Depends on which team scores it, for City that'll be offside and possibly a booking, for "others" it's a bit of a giggle and obviously a goal. New ruling as of today apparently.
It’s pathetic. I understand that we’re going to get the media reaction and the blow back from the sour bastard fan base of others who are clueless bitters. Cos it’s fashionable for them to do so and totally predictable.

There’s been plenty of goals scored like that over the years. Rodri didn’t even tackle. Mings controlled and then moved the ball and the game is back on, Rodri at this point now has mings and another defender playing him on. End of story.

And we still had to go and create a chance and convert it after that. the first of 2 goals we scored that night.

As many have said already, what if defender passes back to the keeper; Rodri in this instance is now onside from an offside position to intercept.

but the new rule means he can’t get back onside to intercept mings playing it in any other direction but to the goal keeper. Bollax.

it’s been the same rule for as long as I can remember. I’ve been watching the game for 31 years now. It’s going to shite. Media money and rag sycophants have the beautiful game ruined.

But another rule change off the back of our another one of our games. The bias has become so heavily stacked against us on every level of the game.
And it’s so fucking transparent, but we’re the bastards. It’s deluded.

I have a few close mates that I talk football with. The rest I couldn’t be arsed cos I don’t need to take on the constant abuse and negativity and cunts looking for punch ups cos me being a city fan offends their deluded rag bastard moral code. It’s now fans of other teams too. It’s a sad day that media bias is having such a negative on people relationships

Mings is a professional footballer getting paid a fuck tonne of money. And international footballer. And he uses his ignorance as a plea to hide behind the media noise:

he should be called out and sacked. Fined, dropped to the reserves. Made a point of, something. and I bet footballers will know the rules after that.

Imagine a gas installer coming out who didn’t know the gas safety regulations coming out to install your new boiler, making a bad job of it and needing you the customer to remind him of the safety regs. Ya wouldn’t be confident or want him back.

Also does no footballer understand ya can’t be offside from a throw in. Nobody ever runs into that space. Sorry I’m getting side tracked there.

learn the rules you lazy cunts. Even if you don’t read up on them you’re a pro footballer, ya must’ve seen a thousand games to inform you. Ya must’ve trained a thousand sessions to inform you. Your coaches the same, Paul Merson McPointy and Ragface Tyler the same: all paid a lot, claiming ignorance and making a lot of shit up. Often their commentating is of a completely different game to the one City are actually playing in front of them. I’m watching and listening and they get it wrong so often. And not by mistake. The narrative they are keeping strong. And people instead of watching the game and making their own minds, will happily sit back and join in the delusional narrative, cos it soothes their beaten psyche. I know it hurts them that city have dominated the last decade. But they can’t be so deluded all the time.

When in doubt, revert to their boys club mentality, feign ignorance or whatever will get them off the hook, and in a position keep on getting Big Bad City and then they’ll all sit back down like the dogs they are proudly licking their communal flea infested ball bag.

Fuck, remember we were little city, then noisy neighbours. It shows how far we’ve come in the last 12 years.

Last edited:
If its ok to change the rules can offside be if the attacker is more than 1 foot ahead of the defender please? And then just tell players to be level to be safe. There needs to be a reasonable margin of error in offside imo.

Oh and change the rule in the middle of the season for the craic.

Thing is, Mings did (or should) have the ball under control after his first touch / chest of the ball with Rodri 5 yards away. How many touches are deemed for a supposed professional to have the ball under control ?. Shouldn't be playing for England if he and all these so called experts are saying it takes him more than one.
I don't want dunces who don't know the rules of the game EVER playing for England.

Well all a defender has to argue with the ref now is that "I didn't know the law(s) so please disallow the goal" Pigmol will confirm the change next week, well if the team plays in Red the ref will of course now agree.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.