Old Firm

Has to be said; Ranger's future looks grim. Putting aside all the off field stuff that's going on, that side looks (to use their own terminology) pish. Celtic are no great shakes, but Rangers are making them look like world beaters. If the gers do go tits up, I dread to think what the SPL will end up like. It was bad enough when it was a two team league; if it's left for Celtic to do what they like, it's doomed. And I think even the most rabid Celtic fan realises this as well. Shame, as the sweatys produced some world class players back in the seventies and eighties.

jimharri said:
Has to be said; Ranger's future looks grim. Putting aside all the off field stuff that's going on, that side looks (to use their own terminology) pish. Celtic are no great shakes, but Rangers are making them look like world beaters. If the gers do go tits up, I dread to think what the SPL will end up like. It was bad enough when it was a two team league; if it's left for Celtic to do what they like, it's doomed. And I think even the most rabid Celtic fan realises this as well. Shame, as the sweatys produced some world class players back in the seventies and eighties.
You mean the 80s when the Old Firm were NOT dominant in Scottish football? Could be that wasn't a coincidence, long-term the demise of the OF would be good for Scottish football, sure it would hurt in the short-term but the long-term benefits would outweigh that IMO.

The SPL would thrive without the old firm, not fail. They've destroyed Scottish football, and anyone who thinks they are the only clubs actually HELPING it are completely wrong imo. It's a blinkered view put upon them by tabloids and other media outlets. For a few years it would be difficult, after time, it could be a decent league again.

ayrshire_blue said:
The SPL would thrive without the old firm, not fail. They've destroyed Scottish football, and anyone who thinks they are the only clubs actually HELPING it are completely wrong imo. It's a blinkered view put upon them by tabloids and other media outlets. For a few years it would be difficult, after time, it could be a decent league again.
Sure; it would certainly become more competitive if the old firm pissed off. I was thinking more of the financial side of things. Rangers and Celtic are far and away the biggest draw up there. Wouldn't attndances suffer if they weren't there? Or would the more competitive nature of the league mean better attendances in general? Anyway; back on topic. This could get seriously embarrassing for Rangers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.