Old Maine Road photos thread

Gary, Thanks for the great work you do on citys history, I find it fascinating,
Any idea what happened to Paul Todd the mascot mentioned in one of your earlier posts?
He seemed to be mascot for a few years in the late 60s, What a great time to be the mascot & how did he get the gig?
He’s still about I believe. His Dad Harry looked after the dressing rooms for decades, including the first few years at the new stadium too.

That’s what I’ve always believed but Bobby Kennedy was a jock?
Correct. It wasn’t an all-English team. It’s one of those myths that just won’t go away sadly. They also weren’t the first to win a European trophy and English trophy in same season - Leeds had already done that.

However, when City won the League Cup it was the first time all 92 clubs had entered the League Cup.

Today's free Maine Road feature is a 'then and now' aerial photo showing the stadium in the 1940s and the same site today. Makes interesting viewing. Images/details via link:

Correct. It wasn’t an all-English team. It’s one of those myths that just won’t go away sadly. They also weren’t the first to win a European trophy and English trophy in same season - Leeds had already done that.

However, when City won the League Cup it was the first time all 92 clubs had entered the League Cup.
Come on Gary, when Leeds won the Fairs Cup in ‘68 it was a tournament not organised or recognised by UEFA. There is a strong argument to claim City were the first club to win a European trophy and English trophy in the same season, and frankly, I will always claim that this is the case.

Last team to win the FA cup with an all english team?

And wasnt the fairs cup invitational when leeds won it so doesnt really count

Think I was somewhere up there. Did I think we would ever be celebrating a treble back then? No way. Drink it in. History has been made. View attachment 83280
Was in the 2nd tier with a mate of mine. Not sure when but kinky was playing. Only problem with that stand it was soulless and the acoustics were dreadful.

Come on Gary, when Leeds won the Fairs Cup in ‘68 it was a tournament not organised or recognised by UEFA. There is a strong argument to claim City were the first club to win a European trophy and English trophy in the same season, and frankly, I will always claim that this is the case.
I agree - and often stress that the Fairs Cup was not a UEFA tournament - which is why I’ve always said City were the first team to win a major European trophy and domestic trophy in the same season. It is something that does have to be explained because, sadly, our rivals will pick us up on it if we are not 100% accurate.

It‘s just something we have to be clear on that’s all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.