OLED - is it worth it?

roy.or.r

Hello Blues. I have been looking at a good tv for the PS 5 and almost all of the websites are recommending an OLED tv. I have a Sony Bravia 55 inch X950G 4k LED.

Are OLED Tvs worth it? Are they significantly better than 4K LEDs not just for gaming but for all purposes?

For me, it very much depends on the source.
We have the same tv as you in the living room and an A8 Master Series OLED in the lounge.
I’m currently watching the A8 and the picture is poor as it’s Fargo on Kodi.
Before that we’ve been watching some 1080p stuff which is stunning and better than in the other room.
The best though are 4K sources. They are unbelievable, the clarity is superb.

Hello Blues. I have been looking at a good tv for the PS 5 and almost all of the websites are recommending an OLED tv. I have a Sony Bravia 55 inch X950G 4k LED.

Are OLED Tvs worth it? Are they significantly better than 4K LEDs not just for gaming but for all purposes?
My eyes are degrading to shit so for me it's not worth it, 4K is good for me.

I have a 75 inch Hisense 4k TV, I don't know if they have that brand in the UK.
I've had it for a few months and very happy with it.

OLED is a more noticeable improvement than 4K. You'll only notice the difference between 4K and HD if you're sitting pretty close to the screen (so good for gaming, perhaps), but OLED is immediately noticeable because of the higher dynamic range. It's kinda moot though, because you don't really see TVs that aren't 4K any more.

Walk around a shop and I'm willing to bet you can notice which TVs are OLED before you can notice which ones are 8K (unless inevitably they have a big sign saying 8K because no-one would notice otherwise).

OLED is a more noticeable improvement than 4K. You'll only notice the difference between 4K and HD if you're sitting pretty close to the screen (so good for gaming, perhaps), but OLED is immediately noticeable because of the higher dynamic range. It's kinda moot though, because you don't really see TVs that aren't 4K any more.

Walk around a shop and I'm willing to bet you can notice which TVs are OLED before you can notice which ones are 8K (unless inevitably they have a big sign saying 8K because no-one would notice otherwise).
Mate of mine told me these shops cheat boosting the signal to OLED TVs, making the picture look way better than 4K TVs so you will spend that extra money, and the shop make more profit.

image.jpg

Try looking at the back of the TV for these 'signals'.

You will find a USB attached in whatever format used for the TV.

It's a shop trick.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.