Olympiacos (A) - CL | Post-Match Thread

The main difference in my (extremely untrained) view is how rarely we get runners going past the player with the ball. It was a feature of our play in Pep's 2nd and 3rd seasons, and under Pellegrini also, but it seemed to come to an abrupt halt last season. So often we play the ball out to either of the full backs and immediately the winger comes inside which leaves no forward passing option. Last night we got plenty of crosses into the box, albeit of variable quality, but it was disappointing to see no one in there to finish them off, Jesus, who I rate very highly was, more often than not, to be found nearer the touchline than the penalty spot.
Agreed...Jesus was everywhere, except down the middle !

its odd, never liked watching CL but went to the games or watched tv. Now I dislike PL footy on tv but enjoy the chumps league. Kind of more relaxing.

always expected to dictate and we did, we played well, most of team putting a good show in. Cant grumble at that at all.

What was going on with peps coat ? Not sure if previous posts picked up on this, just imagine a full stadium of people wearing one !

The line shouldn't be par
The main difference in my (extremely untrained) view is how rarely we get runners going past the player with the ball. It was a feature of our play in Pep's 2nd and 3rd seasons, and under Pellegrini also, but it seemed to come to an abrupt halt last season. So often we play the ball out to either of the full backs and immediately the winger comes inside which leaves no forward passing option. Last night we got plenty of crosses into the box, albeit of variable quality, but it was disappointing to see no one in there to finish them off, Jesus, who I rate very highly was, more often than not, to be found nearer the touchline than the penalty spot.
And one moment last night first half on the right when a ball was on to a player who was forward and unmarked and (can't recall who) just checked and looked to pass inside.

I've no idea with the new rules is his head shoulder offside or not?
Well, I think you'd have to go with an extreme angle on your off-side line to show that, personally. I think this might be leaning too far to the left and he's still clearly behind the line, from the last man's toe:

Sterling-on-side2.png

I think I'm right in thinking that, the angle has to be somewhere between: The one for the line for the 18 yard box on the left and the cut of the grass on the far right, at 12 yards(penalty spot). So, it will lean more left, the further right you place it. It's clearly closer to the 18 yard box, than it is 12yards, so the angle has to be closer to the one at 18 yards.

It is closer than I thought at first but perhaps UEFA didn't think it was. It would have been nice to see it(so we don't have Liverpool fans claiming we got away with one) but it's still easily on-side for me that.

Last edited:
The line shouldn't be par
And one moment last night first half on the right when a ball was on to a player who was forward and unmarked and (can't recall who) just checked and looked to pass inside.
You're right. It shouldn't be parallel. I wasn't thinking.

That diagram of high resolution excellence has put me right back in my place

(Being serious, the defenders foot is further back than I originally thought)

Well, I think you'd have to go with an extreme angle on your off-side line to show that, personally. I think this might be leaning too far to the left and he's still clearly behind the line, from the last man's toe:

Sterling-on-side2.png

I think I'm right in thinking that, the angle has to be somewhere between: The one for the line for the 18 yard box on the left and the cut of the grass on the far right, at 12 yards(penalty spot). So, it will lean more left, the further right you place it. It's clearly closer to the 18 yard box, than it is 12yards, so the angle has to be closer to the one at 18 yards.

It is closer than I thought at first but perhaps UEFA didn't think it was. It would have been nice to see it(so we don't have Liverpool fans claiming we got away with one) but it's still easily on-side for me that.
The yellow line in this image is pretty much bang on. I checked it, I know I really am that sad! Took the line from the 18 yard box and the one from the cut of grass to the right of the image. Trace them upwards until you find the vanishing point then rotate across the pitch. Matched the yellow line spot on.

So he's onside, got to admit watching it last night I thought he was off. Pretty sure that if this was in the Premier League they would have 'found a way' to make it so.

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 19.44.32.png

The yellow line in this image is pretty much bang on. I checked it, I know I really am that sad! Took the line from the 18 yard box and the one from the cut of grass to the right of the image. Trace them upwards until you find the vanishing point then rotate across the pitch. Matched the yellow line spot on.

So he's onside, got to admit watching it last night I thought he was off. Pretty sure that if this was in the Premier League they would have 'found a way' to make it so.

View attachment 5874
That was my line by eye, I'm pleased with that then. :)

Had no idea about this vanishing point method, I'll probably forget about that by the time the next one comes up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.