Olympiacos (A) - CL | Pre-Match Thread

Olympiacos (A) Prediction

• Win

• Draw

• Lose

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What we’re doing in attack clearly isn’t working right now. If Mendy can get back to getting out wide and hammering in quick low crosses then it will give us something we don’t have at the minute and I’ll be happy to see it. He’ll also stretch defences as the full back will have to go to him to stop the cross, whereas now they don’t bother as our wide attackers just cut back inside, pass back or put high crosses into our midgets up front that are easily defended

What we’re doing in attack clearly isn’t working right now. If Mendy can get back to getting out wide and hammering in quick low crosses then it will give us something we don’t have at the minute and I’ll be happy to see it. He’ll also stretch defences as the full back will have to go to him to stop the cross, whereas now they don’t bother as our wide attackers just cut back inside, pass back or put high crosses into our midgets up front that are easily defended
Just the slight issue of no one on the end of those crosses.Our players prefer the 30 yard line,with some seemingly even having a phobia of boxes.

I know it's slightly off track, but there's a really interesting story I came across about an Olympiacos player during WW2.

Nikos Godas, who played as an influential goal scoring midfielder for Olympiacos during the war. He became a captain in the Greek People's Liberation Army and fought the axis forces in numerous battles. After the Varkiza agreement was signed, he returned to Pireus where he was captured and convicted of being a communist. He refused to sign a statement of repentment (for his political views) and thus was sentenced to death.

He was granted one last wish before being executed. He asked to be dressed in the Olympiacos shirt and refused to be blindfolded, so the last image he saw was the red and white jersey which he loved.

He sounds like football's version of Braveheart. :')

I know it's slightly off track, but there's a really interesting story I came across about an Olympiacos player during WW2.

Nikos Godas, who played as an influential goal scoring midfielder for Olympiacos during the war. He became a captain in the Greek People's Liberation Army and fought the axis forces in numerous battles. After the Varkiza agreement was signed, he returned to Pireus where he was captured and convicted of being a communist. He refused to sign a statement of repentment (for his political views) and thus was sentenced to death.

He was granted one last wish before being executed. He asked to be dressed in the Olympiacos shirt and refused to be blindfolded, so the last image he saw was the red and white jersey which he loved.

Whoa wow!

I know what you’re saying and I certainly wouldn’t be averse to seeing Zinchenko get the nod. It’s perhaps fanciful to think we’ll ever see the best of Mendy or whether anyone else will, I just feel his best far exceeds that of Zinchenko for what we need in the team right now. Both are questionable when up against a proper right winger, but if Mendy could recapture some of that attacking and powerful prowess down the left-hand side it would help us massively in mixing up our attacks.

Like I say, I appreciate how unlikely this may be but I’d like to retain that hope!

Edit - Just to add to this, if Pep wants his left-back to drop into the middle like Cancelo has been doing, stopping counter-attacks and being an extra body in the middle to recycle the ball, I do think Zinchenko would be the better option.
I'm at the point where I don't really care about Mendy's best. His best could be prime Messi, doesn't matter if he only shows it for 45 minutes every season.

I've got sympathy for his injuries, but he's not exactly strict in his lifestyle. I can't wait to see the back of him, but sadly he'll never willingly leave as he'd be facing a huge pay cut.

All well and good but did he track back :)

Seriously he must have had such strength in his beliefs.

I think Pep will just go to ensure the point tonight.

-----------------------------Eddie-----------------------
Cancelo---------Laporte--------Stones--------Zinch
--------------Gundo-----------------Rodri--------------
Foden------------------Berny-------------------Torres
-------------------------Jesus---------------------------

We need to start playing......early goal...convert more chances....had enough of all this 70% possesion and 2 nil down....becoming a joke...Pep needs to sort this out.... never mind buying new players every 5 minutes, get this lot playing..just hope nobody gets injured...Marez and Mendy better start performing or get rid....really unimpressed so far with the league performances, hope these are better.....
living up to your username there

I think Pep will just go to ensure the point tonight.

-----------------------------Eddie-----------------------
Cancelo---------Laporte--------Stones--------Zinch
--------------Gundo-----------------Rodri--------------
Foden------------------Berny-------------------Torres
-------------------------Jesus---------------------------
Get Doyle in that team for Gundogan or Rodri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.