On This Day 13th May 1989: Bradford City (A) Promotion Decider

Tickets were like gold dust. Bradford would only sell them to people with proof of a Bradford post code. I was at Huddersfield Polytechnic at the time and had a student union card. I went over on the bus on the Monday before the game and rocked up at the ticket office to chance my arm. I put on a Yorkshire accent and said I was a Bradfor dfan from Huddersfield. The girl ummed and aahed and my heart raced and in the end she reletned and said "Go on then". So i went "I'll have 5 tickets please". She laughed her head off and said "I'll give you one in the Kop and your lucky to get that". I took it and was gone.

There were two big groups on City in their Kop, one at the top, one at the bottom. The one at the top were fighting on and off throughout the game but at the bottom it was fine.

All Ir emember is the unbeleivable tension and "The Bradford Gypsy" running ont he pitch to tell the players they needed to score, to a chorus of "Where's your caravan?" from the Bradford fans. Then the goal, mayhem in the kop. At the final whistle someone opened a gate and as we all ran on the pitch a small crush developed and a few fans fell. I can remember the fear in this lads eye as a pile up developed on top of him and a few of us helped them out. It was just after Hilsbrough, remember.

Brilliant day, tension and glory, a forerunner of games to come. "City are back, hello"
Pretty much how I remember it. We got tickets outside the City social club midweek, as there were loads of Bradford fans travelling down en masse flogging tickets for the home end. We ended up bottom right corner with hundreds of other city fans. Goal and final whistle was absolute bedlam.

The other thing that stuck in my head about the game was Cleghorn getting clattered after about 10mins and literally playing out the game on one leg.

Tickets were like gold dust. Bradford would only sell them to people with proof of a Bradford post code. I was at Huddersfield Polytechnic at the time and had a student union card. I went over on the bus on the Monday before the game and rocked up at the ticket office to chance my arm. I put on a Yorkshire accent and said I was a Bradfor dfan from Huddersfield. The girl ummed and aahed and my heart raced and in the end she reletned and said "Go on then". So i went "I'll have 5 tickets please". She laughed her head off and said "I'll give you one in the Kop and your lucky to get that". I took it and was gone.

There were two big groups on City in their Kop, one at the top, one at the bottom. The one at the top were fighting on and off throughout the game but at the bottom it was fine.

All Ir emember is the unbeleivable tension and "The Bradford Gypsy" running ont he pitch to tell the players they needed to score, to a chorus of "Where's your caravan?" from the Bradford fans. Then the goal, mayhem in the kop. At the final whistle someone opened a gate and as we all ran on the pitch a small crush developed and a few fans fell. I can remember the fear in this lads eye as a pile up developed on top of him and a few of us helped them out. It was just after Hilsbrough, remember.

Brilliant day, tension and glory, a forerunner of games to come. "City are back, hello"
Huddersfield poly mate? Fucks sake I thought you were Oxbridge

35 years, ffs.

Walked back to the station after the game, remember Ointment were trying to pick off small groups of Blues.

Got on the pitch at the end and remember the players were on a roof to the left of the away end, great days.

Pretty much how I remember it. We got tickets outside the City social club midweek, as there were loads of Bradford fans travelling down en masse flogging tickets for the home end. We ended up bottom right corner with hundreds of other city fans. Goal and final whistle was absolute bedlam.

The other thing that stuck in my head about the game was Cleghorn getting clattered after about 10mins and literally playing out the game on one leg.
Yep, me and my dad were in that end As we knew somebody who lived in Bradford and could get us tickets. He’d been lecturing me all game that if City scored I couldn’t react. Then when Tricky equalised he went cartwheeling down that stand screaming like a lunatic!

I was there. Tickets sorted by Frank Newton of the bananas craze who lived in Bradford. In the newly built main stand complete with a membership. Great weekend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.