On This Day 13th May 1989: Bradford City (A) Promotion Decider

I remember listening on the radio with my Dad , I was only 9, he switched it off at the end, he was too nervous, I shouted at him to turn it back on, he did and seconds later the goal went in…cue much celebrations!

Tickets were like gold dust. Bradford would only sell them to people with proof of a Bradford post code. I was at Huddersfield Polytechnic at the time and had a student union card. I went over on the bus on the Monday before the game and rocked up at the ticket office to chance my arm. I put on a Yorkshire accent and said I was a Bradfor dfan from Huddersfield. The girl ummed and aahed and my heart raced and in the end she reletned and said "Go on then". So i went "I'll have 5 tickets please". She laughed her head off and said "I'll give you one in the Kop and your lucky to get that". I took it and was gone.

There were two big groups on City in their Kop, one at the top, one at the bottom. The one at the top were fighting on and off throughout the game but at the bottom it was fine.

All Ir emember is the unbeleivable tension and "The Bradford Gypsy" running ont he pitch to tell the players they needed to score, to a chorus of "Where's your caravan?" from the Bradford fans. Then the goal, mayhem in the kop. At the final whistle someone opened a gate and as we all ran on the pitch a small crush developed and a few fans fell. I can remember the fear in this lads eye as a pile up developed on top of him and a few of us helped them out. It was just after Hilsbrough, remember.

Brilliant day, tension and glory, a forerunner of games to come. "City are back, hello"

I remember the police were supposed to be sealing off all the surrounding areas to the stadium and checking tickets. They had experience of doing this from the recent miners strike. I was living in Dover at the time and in the London supporters club which I used for cheaper group travel. Tina Robinson the secretary managed to sort me a ticket pretty last minute through Frank Newton who lived in the area.

I travelled down by coach the night before with nowhere to stay and asked a taxi driver to take me to a cheap area for B+B's. I was on strike at the time so money was tight. He took me to Manningham lane which I found out was the red light area lol. It was quite late and I saw two lads eating chips going towards a B+B who realised I was a Blue. They said to get my head down on their floor to save money. As we were going up the stairs this big Asian guy in a white kaftan popped out of nowhere, he'd sussed us out. Luckily he had a spare room so I booked for two nights.

Next day I had to meet Frank in a pub for my ticket. I had only a vague description of what he looked like but thankfully I found him. He'd played a blinder, a ticket and a membership for their main stand. I saw the City fans getting attacked at the top of their kop but they fought back.and their fans backed off. The police then took them down to the front and stayed there with them.

After the game I was drinking with Frank and his mates but lost them heading to another pub. I went back to the B+B and an older couple who were on benefits but lived there rent free in return for helping out were up having a drink. We had a right crack playing music, drinking and happy baccy. What a fucking weekend, no history eh?

I remember the police were supposed to be sealing off all the surrounding areas to the stadium and checking tickets. They had experience of doing this from the recent miners strike. I was living in Dover at the time and in the London supporters club which I used for cheaper group travel. Tina Robinson the secretary managed to sort me a ticket pretty last minute through Frank Newton who lived in the area.

I travelled down by coach the night before with nowhere to stay and asked a taxi driver to take me to a cheap area for B+B's. I was on strike at the time so money was tight. He took me to Manningham lane which I found out was the red light area lol. It was quite late and I saw two lads eating chips going towards a B+B who realised I was a Blue. They said to get my head down on their floor to save money. As we were going up the stairs this big Asian guy in a white kaftan popped out of nowhere, he'd sussed us out. Luckily he had a spare room so I booked for two nights.

Next day I had to meet Frank in a pub for my ticket. I had only a vague description of what he looked like but thankfully I found him. He'd played a blinder, a ticket and a membership for their main stand. I saw the City fans getting attacked at the top of their kop but they fought back.and their fans backed off. The police then took them down to the front and stayed there with them.

After the game I was drinking with Frank and his mates but lost them heading to another pub. I went back to the B+B and an older couple who were on benefits but lived there rent free in return for helping out were up having a drink. We had a right crack playing music, drinking and happy baccy. What a fucking weekend, no history eh?
Great story mate.

We were in the Bradford end being fairly quiet, as was the form. When Morley scored it felt like the whole of the Bradford end went up, which eased the tension somewhat. My overriding memory of that match was, after we’d scored, Gary Megson absolutely smashing one of the Bradford players who was going through on goal and would, very likely, have made it 2-1 for Bradford.
In today’s football it would have been 2 red cards!!

Tickets were like gold dust. Bradford would only sell them to people with proof of a Bradford post code. I was at Huddersfield Polytechnic at the time and had a student union card. I went over on the bus on the Monday before the game and rocked up at the ticket office to chance my arm. I put on a Yorkshire accent and said I was a Bradfor dfan from Huddersfield. The girl ummed and aahed and my heart raced and in the end she reletned and said "Go on then". So i went "I'll have 5 tickets please". She laughed her head off and said "I'll give you one in the Kop and your lucky to get that". I took it and was gone.

There were two big groups on City in their Kop, one at the top, one at the bottom. The one at the top were fighting on and off throughout the game but at the bottom it was fine.

All Ir emember is the unbeleivable tension and "The Bradford Gypsy" running ont he pitch to tell the players they needed to score, to a chorus of "Where's your caravan?" from the Bradford fans. Then the goal, mayhem in the kop. At the final whistle someone opened a gate and as we all ran on the pitch a small crush developed and a few fans fell. I can remember the fear in this lads eye as a pile up developed on top of him and a few of us helped them out. It was just after Hilsbrough, remember.

Brilliant day, tension and glory, a forerunner of games to come. "City are back, hello"
We were in the top of their Kop. 5 of us! Was a bit scary at half time with some half Asian lad with a Rangers shirt on, and about 10 of his mates. Ended up in the middle with a ring of Bantam fans protecting us. What a day!!

Think the cordon was on the back of the events of Hillsborough:(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.