On This Day 13th May 1989: Bradford City (A) Promotion Decider

climbed over the fence in there end at 11am sat in bogs 2 other blues did the same about 12pm and were seen coppers and stewards came and found us through us out, bought a ticket of a bradford fan gave him £15 he tought he had won the lottery, was in there end with 100s of blues what a day.
That’s some story.

Tickets were like gold dust. Bradford would only sell them to people with proof of a Bradford post code. I was at Huddersfield Polytechnic at the time and had a student union card. I went over on the bus on the Monday before the game and rocked up at the ticket office to chance my arm. I put on a Yorkshire accent and said I was a Bradfor dfan from Huddersfield. The girl ummed and aahed and my heart raced and in the end she reletned and said "Go on then". So i went "I'll have 5 tickets please". She laughed her head off and said "I'll give you one in the Kop and your lucky to get that". I took it and was gone.

There were two big groups on City in their Kop, one at the top, one at the bottom. The one at the top were fighting on and off throughout the game but at the bottom it was fine.

All Ir emember is the unbeleivable tension and "The Bradford Gypsy" running ont he pitch to tell the players they needed to score, to a chorus of "Where's your caravan?" from the Bradford fans. Then the goal, mayhem in the kop. At the final whistle someone opened a gate and as we all ran on the pitch a small crush developed and a few fans fell. I can remember the fear in this lads eye as a pile up developed on top of him and a few of us helped them out. It was just after Hilsbrough, remember.

Brilliant day, tension and glory, a forerunner of games to come. "City are back, hello"
Was this lad who ran on the pitch, got a kicking off west Yorkshire dibble. Was in the kop that day , knew some ointment lads, got tickets off them.

There are some brilliant tales in this thread.

I knew Frank Newton. I used to phone him occasionally to chat all things City, and, before I became a ST holder, he got tickets for me a few times.

Sadly, I can’t regale you with anything as exciting as the stories I’ve read. I was sat beside the radio in Cornwall, gradually becoming more and more desperate as the game headed towards a dreadful conclusion.

Thankfully, Trevor did the business, and just over four months later, the Maine Road Massacre happened.

What a great few months.

I knew Frank Newton too. Helped me out massively as an out of town ,lone ,Blue fanatic.Frank had time for me, replied to my letters 're joining supporters clubs. Made my day to get an official letter from City ,personally hand written ,..It meant the World to me at the time.
I was on my own supporting City at the start. No mates,no family, I just wanted to see City play. It's been a long journey. ..
Football clubs were different back then...the warmth and genuine northern passion.. I fell in love with. I really felt they wanted me to join them. It changed my life..
Your journey sounds very similar to mine.

There were two other City fans in my year at school, but none of my family followed football, let alone City.

I always felt very isolated from the club, until I started chatting to Frank, and Mike Kelly before him.

I bought the first edition of Blueprint at Plymouth, and I read it dozens of times.

Your journey sounds very similar to mine.

There were two other City fans in my year at school, but none of my family followed football, let alone City.

I always felt very isolated from the club, until I started chatting to Frank, and Mike Kelly before him.

I bought the first edition of Blueprint at Plymouth, and I read it dozens of times.
I'd got mixed up with Frank Horrocks when I posted early hours, lol !

Know the name Frank Newton but couldn't say I ever met him.

I was City daft at 9 yea4s old,saw my first match at 13 in the home end at forest and started going on my own to places like Leeds (!!!) Ipswich and home games ,which were lonely affairs frought with all sorts of problems..as soon as I got in with the supporters branch ,there was no looking back for 3 decades.

Got my ticket for the Bradford end through a rumour in the pub that someone was flogging them at Victoria station at 9am match day morning.
Turned out to be 100% true and was congratulated by all the Bantams at the end after 87 mins of torture...

@Yelloways Army
Can't remember but didn't you spend most of the second half at the back not watching with Tony?

Some thieving **** grabbed M's car radio by the time we got back to it

Had a ticket but felt obliged to give it up as it was the at the end of my first week in a new job and they had a work event on the weekend.
Got to my hotel room to check Ceefax just as Morley scored and then got royally pissed that night with an Aberdonian who had just beaten Rangers on the same day.
Left the job about 9 months later and vowed never to pass up on a ticket like that again…

Was at the Bournemouth game and at half time a someone was trying to sell tickets in the Kippax for the Bradford game.I was only a school kid but had the money for the ticket and could have scraped together the travel money, but being 3 up declined. Needless to say I was gutted at full time and ended up listening to it on the radio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.