On This Day 23rd April 1904: Manchester City Became The First Manchester Side To Win A Major Trophy:

Great Post.
I'm looking at the Match to Remember part of the City book by Ray Goble..the1st match is the 1904 FA Cup win in London.

Interesting to read that Billy Meredith,our Welsh wing wizard, had been voted the most popular player in the country by readers of ' The Umpire'
In 1904 ..and" railway posters,advertising the game,portrayed Meredith scoring the winning goal in a similar fashion to what actually occured"

I presume your post is one of these railway posters....

Great Post.
I'm looking at the Match to Remember part of the City book by Ray Goble..the1st match is the 1904 FA Cup win in London.

Interesting to read that Billy Meredith,our Welsh wing wizard, had been voted the most popular player in the country by readers of ' The Umpire'
In 1904 ..and" railway posters,advertising the game,portrayed Meredith scoring the winning goal in a similar fashion to what actually occured"

I presume your post is one of these railway posters....
Yes. The Great Central Railway was big on innovative publicity. It would not surprise me if they slipped Meredith a few bob for the implied endorsement.

Yes. The Great Central Railway was big on innovative publicity. It would not surprise me if they slipped Meredith a few bob for the implied endorsement.
It does seem a bit strange that the GCR advertising showed Meredith scoring a goal in the forthcoming advertised Cup Final..then that is what actuallyhappened in the game itself, 1nil City.
Then again as the country's most popular player of the time ,I suppose it was just sharp innovative advertising. .

"A disruptive incident before the( 1904) final occurred in the City dressing room....long serving wing half " Doc " Holmes threw his boots through a window, disappointed at being left out of the side after playing in the earlier rounds..his place was taken by the amateur Sam Ashworth."

By Ray Goble- Manchester City A complete Record 1887- 1987.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.