On This Day 29th April 1970: E.C.W.C Final.

I recall the trip very well. A group of us went on the three-day package. We spend the day before around the Prater stadium including a trip on the big wheel that was featured in the Third Man film.

It seemed lovely day as we went to the Stadium with City 2-0 up at half time. Then the rain came down. There was virtually no cover in the stadium I was soaked through by the end of the match.

I had to go back to the hotel to get a complete change of clothes before a night in the bars of Vienna.

It was a disgrace that the match was not televised in the UK with Leeds v Chelsea on both main channels.

I recall the trip very well. A group of us went on the three-day package. We spend the day before around the Prater stadium including a trip on the big wheel that was featured in the Third Man film.

It seemed lovely day as we went to the Stadium with City 2-0 up at half time. Then the rain came down. There was virtually no cover in the stadium I was soaked through by the end of the match.

I had to go back to the hotel to get a complete change of clothes before a night in the bars of Vienna.

It was a disgrace that the match was not televised in the UK with Leeds v Chelsea on both main channels.

As a kid back then I was fuming it wasn't live on TV. Just our luck Leeds and Chelsea drew at Wembley and the replay was on the same night. I don't even think it was live on the radio. Difficult to believe how hard it was watching your club back then with no internet and satellite TV. You had to go to the games.
We got highlights on Sports night with Coleman and my dad let me stay up to watch it.

My biggest football regret, not going to Vienna for the final.
I was 15, had about 15/- to my name and no way my mam and dad could afford to pay for me to go.
Mate of mine went... we were all so jealous if him.
The lack of TV coverage was outrageous. The 'highlights' just about showed the goals iirc.

Went to Zabrze in 2020.

There is a well maintained mural painted on a wall next to the railway station which details their run to the final, Its about 40 foot long.
They are very proud of this obviously.

Was hoping they could make the CL league one day and we could play them again.

They have a chance of the Conference League this season so can give united a good twating at least.

That was a strong Gornik team as both Gorgon and Lubanski featured in the 1974 World Cup when Poland finished 3rd.
Lubanski lives in the next town Gliwice.

I have as mate who lives there who says hes often out having a pint in the square, wasnt out when I was there though unfortunately.

I was 10 and of course it wasn't on telly due to the boxing match between Chelsea and Leeds. I had to listen to BBC and finally got the result. RTE did show some highlights later on but I had been sent packing to bed as it was a school night. My dad was going to let me stay up but my mother was having none of it...

Another crowd that Utd fans try and mock , I’d read somewhere it was the largest following of English club fans intoeurope at that time , I always give back 22000 for a final at home Mufc v Red star Belgrade shuts them up
I used that one too when a Rag tried to belittle us winning The Super Cup (saying been there, done that) back in August.
Clearly he hadn't been there based on the embarrassing attendance for a European final in their own backyard.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.