On this day - Keegan Resigns

Blu3m00n91

Link is from @Gary James website. The start of the Stuart Pearce era. Had to be made of some stern stuff to sit and watch that City side home and away.

I suppose, in hindsight, reading that back, maybe we were a bit too hard on Kevin.

He wasn't a Manchester City man, by any means and maybe we expected way too much commitment from him that he was prepared to give. To him, we were a job, a career move. He respected the club and those at it for as long as he was expecting to, and knew when he wasn't good enough for us.

But, as the article states, he was instrumental in Phase Two of the recovery. He got us out of Division One and kept us out (barely) and when he started to see we were going backwards, held his hands up and said "i'm done". Plus beating the Rags twice isn't too bad of a return, especially in that era, not forgetting the infamous FA Cup comeback against Spuds.

So whilst not a glowing praise sort of post for the guy, maybe more of a "I was expecting him to love City and maybe I shouldn't have, and that's no fault of his." one.

Some of the football in the 2001-02 promotion season was absolutely brilliant as was beating the rags in the final Maine Road derby and the first at CoMS. - And getting a draw at the swamp near the end of 2002-03.
But sometimes he seemed to slump in his seat not knowing what to do next. That was best summed up in the cup defeat at Oldham, and most of us who went to Groclin away weren't happy with a failure to attack in meaningful manner when we had to score at least once.

Some of the football in the 2001-02 promotion season was absolutely brilliant as was beating the rags in the final Maine Road derby and the first at CoMS. - And getting a draw at the swamp near the end of 2002-03.
But sometimes he seemed to slump in his seat not knowing what to do next. That was best summed up in the cup defeat at Oldham, and most of us who went to Groclin away weren't happy with a failure to attack in meaningful manner when we had to score at least once.
Controversial opinion here..... that season ranks up there alongside the centurions' season in terms of the sheer exhilaration felt when watching the football being played before our eyes. Obviously, the level we were competing at was slightly inferior, mind. But the joy and excitement felt when watching that team was something else.

Controversial opinion here..... that season ranks up there alongside the centurions' season in terms of the sheer exhilaration felt when watching the football being played before our eyes. Obviously, the level we were competing at was slightly inferior, mind. But the joy and excitement felt when watching that team was something else.
De Bruyne and Silva were the modern day Ali and Eyal

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.