On this day - Swales became chairman

He owes me a lot of enjoyment from my age between approximately 9 & 30...self centred twat who probably was doing things for the club early doors although bumbling along but, it was evident he was just keeping his England gravy train going for most of the time and running us into the ground.

Forward with Franny!!!!!!!

I think he's first name was Eddie can't recall his surname I think the same bloke held the rights to the round crest badge hence the creation of the eagle crest under Franny Lee. Edit. Eddie. Phillips. Not. 100% sure.
Think he was a fuckin u****d fan as well !!

The United fans banner "Swales is a red " at the derby in 93/94 when we threw away a two goal lead pretty much said it all !

I give Swales his due I wrote to him a couple of times expressing concerns regarding certain issues adding, " I don't just want the usual thank you your comments have been noted printed reply signed by you" and he wrote back to me in his own handwriting. One was expressing his hope that a lot of our great youth team ( We had just won the youth cup) would soon be great first team players. I've still got the letters somewhere.

A sports broadcaster are missing a trick they should do a documentary on the man, it would make for fascinating viewing. I know there was a behind the scenes one done on the club when he was in charge years ago so plenty of footage already around. They need to grab interviews with people still alive. Bernard Halford would never give up any secrets but for the misery the man and his leadership put us through for years we deserve the truth warts and all. Tony Book must know a fair bit and Mike Summerbee and Colin Bell.

Listen to the new ManCity Podcast the one with Paul & Jo Lake to get an idea of swales Paul doent hold back about his opinion of the man and how he treated him during his long fight to recover from his knee injury

As an aside the Podcasts are all worth a listen. The latest one Brian Marwood tells how he had Gareth Barry in his car on the way to his medical, Talkshite was on the radio and they were slating him for choosing City over the scoucers, he was only going for money, no ambition who were City anyway? Marwood asked him shall I turn it off? No, replied Gaz Baz Liverpool offered more than you but you sold me the ambition and I want to ram it down their throats

Eh, it's only a game lad.
You're a better man than me. I know you're correct of course but the pain, humiliation, and suffering that tosser caused me in my formative years has left a lasting impression and as much as I know i should, I simply cannot forgive him.

Please, someone, tell me this isn't true. Many years ago, a good friend who worked for the Club said "do you know why the attendance figures never seem to tally with what you see in the ground?". He went on to tell me that there was some sort of mechanism in the ticket office linked to the turnstiles that counted the number of people entering Maine Road - it was there mainly for safety reasons. He told me this was turned off at 2.50 pm.
That had been going on at City (and other clubs) for years..!

I still remember vividly Sheffield United at home in 67-68. I met the Old Man after playing school footy that morning and we went (unusually) into the Platt Lane stand. It was rammed in there as City had had a good start to the season, which ended with us winning the title. I recall saying how the part of the Kippax where we usually stood was really full too, along with the Scoreboard End, which was full of Blades fans.

After we won 5-2, all the way down Lloyd Street back to Hulme I speculated that we must've topped 45000 that day but the Old Man was laughing, saying 'Uncle Albert (Alexander) won't be letting the taxman know that..' Next day in the 'Sunday Express' results page.. reported attendance 32000..

I swear they'd still be doing it if it wasn't for this brave new world of social media followers/clickbait that clubs have to sell themselves to nowadays..!

Listen to the new ManCity Podcast the one with Paul & Jo Lake to get an idea of swales Paul doent hold back about his opinion of the man and how he treated him during his long fight to recover from his knee injury

As an aside the Podcasts are all worth a listen. The latest one Brian Marwood tells how he had Gareth Barry in his car on the way to his medical, Talkshite was on the radio and they were slating him for choosing City over the scoucers, he was only going for money, no ambition who were City anyway? Marwood asked him shall I turn it off? No, replied Gaz Baz Liverpool offered more than you but you sold me the ambition and I want to ram it down their throats

I've really enjoyed the podcasts. Considering they are offical club podcasts its been refreshing that they've allowed the guests to be so candid. I've been critical of some of the content the club puts out but Rob Pollard is very good on them and asks decent questions.

Swales name has cropped up on a few of them and like you say, Paul Lake certainly doesn't hold back and with good reason. I was a kid when Swales was chairman, but I remember the atmosphere at games and the demonstrations. I've still got some 'Forward with Franny' badges somewhere! At least we can look back on those days now as the dark days and we aren't currently going through them!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.