One for our resident Gooners. Arsene Wenger.

NipHolmes said:
Made this post in the RVP thread in Transfer forum and it bears relevance to this.

How many times has he overseen bad business?

*Henry was wanted by Barca for £35million, Arsene kept him for another year when he was injured and later sold for £15million, a £20million loss.
*Flamini ran his contract down and left on a free.
*Nasri ran contract down and forced through a move.
*Clichy same as above.
*RvP doing same.
*Walcott doing same.

Now how many times must a mistake be made before sense is seen?

When was Arsenal last likely to win the EPL? They blew their load to Bham in the CC. Arsene should go imho, he's stale and the club needs a shake up to get rid of players that are just happy collecting wages as Nasri put it.

His work as a coach cannot be criticised really but as a manager I question him. His team had a shaky defence all season yet his first signings of this window were forwards? Why he never went for Cahill in Jan I will never know.

In fairness, the Arsenal board need to be held accountable for that as well. I doubt that it's all down to Wenger, probably a combination of both. Either way, you're right that it IS indeed bad business and I find it odd that the manager is involved in it when you consider he's supposed to be a dab hand at economics. Letting so many quality players run their contracts down is shocking and lacks basic commonsense. They should've had them all signed up on long-term deals and if they decided they wanted to move on then Arsenal would've gotten bigger fees for them. Tottenham have just nailed Bale down to a new deal - if he becomes disenchanted in the next season or two then they'll get a huge fee for him.

M18CTID said:
NipHolmes said:
Made this post in the RVP thread in Transfer forum and it bears relevance to this.

How many times has he overseen bad business?

*Henry was wanted by Barca for £35million, Arsene kept him for another year when he was injured and later sold for £15million, a £20million loss.
*Flamini ran his contract down and left on a free.
*Nasri ran contract down and forced through a move.
*Clichy same as above.
*RvP doing same.
*Walcott doing same.

Now how many times must a mistake be made before sense is seen?

When was Arsenal last likely to win the EPL? They blew their load to Bham in the CC. Arsene should go imho, he's stale and the club needs a shake up to get rid of players that are just happy collecting wages as Nasri put it.

His work as a coach cannot be criticised really but as a manager I question him. His team had a shaky defence all season yet his first signings of this window were forwards? Why he never went for Cahill in Jan I will never know.

In fairness, the Arsenal board need to be held accountable for that as well. I doubt that it's all down to Wenger, probably a combination of both. Either way, you're right that it IS indeed bad business and I find it odd that the manager is involved in it when you consider he's supposed to be a dab hand at economics. Letting so many quality players run their contracts down is shocking and lacks basic commonsense. They should've had them all signed up on long-term deals and if they decided they wanted to move on then Arsenal would've gotten bigger fees for them. Tottenham have just nailed Bale down to a new deal - if he becomes disenchanted in the next season or two then they'll get a huge fee for him.

I wouldn't hold Wenger personally accountable but definately among those who are. His role at the club is a big one and he had the opportunity to force players to sign or leave i.e sign if you want to play and sit on the bench if you wont.

Tottenham for as much as I hate them are doing a sterling job. They sell players for big money and work within their means. They never lose anymore and this has been their mantra since Sol Campbell.

As I said in the other thread, Henry's situation is revisionism my friend as he had played 6 or 7 seasons for us at that stage at a high level which showed no sign of stopping and was 27/28 i.e his peak years. We didnt let him go to Barca as we were a top side and fought to keep our star, he then had an injury-riddled season and left for less which would always happen as he played 25 odd games that year and was actually only fit for about 10-15 of those.

Blaming Wenger there is a bit far.

Flamini - I think we acted correctly. He's a nothing player, wanted an improved deal after doing damn all. Birmingham were in for him at the time, for perspective. No deal was done, he had a good final season and moved to Milan where he flopped and was released recently.

Mistakes with Nasri, Clichy, RVP, Walcott. I agree there.

Gazidis is in charge of sorting this stuff out, and he said sometimes it is taken out of your hands as players simply dont want to talk at certain times i.e keeping their options open with 2 years remaining. We'll never truly know the ins and outs but i can see how it works. And it shouldnt happen so regularly.

Spurs are doing it smartly atm, but I look at what Spurs have spent in the PL era and what they've achieved and safe to say I'll allow Arsene errors here or there.

As for winning a league title recently? Do you really believe we should be winning a title? We've been operating under a break-even strategy with these stadium debts, occasionally that means selling a star to balance the books.

City and Chelsea can write off 100m or 200m losses, we can't do that. I'd say we are exactly where we should be in the league tbh. My annoyance is that we do have a bit more money which can be spent and the drilling of the defence off the field but we cant buy 20 or 30m players like United or City. Arshavin was our record buy at circa 17m which tells you all. United have players in the stands that cost that. Also need to do alot better in the cups.

jlc09 said:
As I said in the other thread, Henry's situation is revisionism my friend as he had played 6 or 7 seasons for us at that stage at a high level which showed no sign of stopping and was 27/28 i.e his peak years. We didnt let him go to Barca as we were a top side and fought to keep our star, he then had an injury-riddled season and left for less which would always happen as he played 25 odd games that year and was actually only fit for about 10-15 of those.

Blaming Wenger there is a bit far.

Flamini - I think we acted correctly. He's a nothing player, wanted an improved deal after doing damn all. Birmingham were in for him at the time, for perspective. No deal was done, he had a good final season and moved to Milan where he flopped and was released recently.

Mistakes with Nasri, Clichy, RVP, Walcott. I agree there.

Gazidis is in charge of sorting this stuff out, and he said sometimes it is taken out of your hands as players simply dont want to talk at certain times i.e keeping their options open with 2 years remaining. We'll never truly know the ins and outs but i can see how it works. And it shouldnt happen so regularly.

Spurs are doing it smartly atm, but I look at what Spurs have spent in the PL era and what they've achieved and safe to say I'll allow Arsene errors here or there.

As for winning a league title recently? Do you really believe we should be winning a title? We've been operating under a break-even strategy with these stadium debts, occasionally that means selling a star to balance the books.

City and Chelsea can write off 100m or 200m losses, we can't do that. I'd say we are exactly where we should be in the league tbh. My annoyance is that we do have a bit more money which can be spent and the drilling of the defence off the field but we cant buy 20 or 30m players like United or City. Arshavin was our record buy at circa 17m which tells you all. United have players in the stands that cost that. Also need to do alot better in the cups.

That's a fair post but IG has proven time after time he's inept and Wenger needs to man the fuck up and call them out. He needs to be stricter with his players and tell fans and media how it is, heck even resign to show where they are going wrong.

You have a squad full of mediocre players and the money saved on wages would go towards fees and wages of top players. Look on that leaked wage document and that's where your going wrong. Bendtner on 55k, Almunia was on 60k, Squilacci etc etc. Put that together and you can see your problem. It's almost like a bucket with loads of small holes but you prefer it over the bucket with a few big holes. You (as club and sets of fans) judge yet your not fit to. Clear the deadwood, clear players that don't want to be there, get tough, sign quality players and go again.

Spurs spent very little to be fair. There net spend over a few season is pretty low. For your signing of Gervinho they got Bale, for your signing of Santos they have Ekotto, for your signing of Diaby they have Sandro etc. Once they get a good forward or 2 they will be better than Arsenal, they were this season if it wasn't for Harry

Although his double standards have become tiresome in recent times, the years he spent as Taggert's arch enemy endeared him to me.

Whilst he is in charge of Arsenal they will always have a chance.

He is the Guardian of the beautiful game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.