Opposition Crowds Applauding City

Following the 7-0 win in the FA Cup 3rd round replay (yes, replay. the first game at Maine Road ended 0-0) in 1968, the announcer at Reading said "You have been privileged to watch what is obviously the finest team in the country".

mtqxwz.jpg
This was an amazing result. I was at the first game in which we were truly awful and I remember thinking at the time that we would lose the replay (of course that's how all City fans feel about most games !)

I'm expecting all those jolly nice Liverpool fans to give us a standing ovation at FT tomorrow, regardless of the result. After all, aren't they "the most knowledgeable fans in football"™?

I loved George, a real old fashioned centre half. We picked him up from Everton reserves. I remember once at Maine Road, he picked up the ball, nothing on, so he trundled forward and suddenly found himself in the opponents box. A look of complete panic came over him, resulting in a shot which nearly cleared the Platt Lane stand. Cue ironic cheers from the Kippax.
Yes! I remember that ‘shot’ but sadly not who it was against! And Big Geordie George’s goal at the OT derby as we took control of the title race that year (same game that Francis Burns launched himself into a ‘tackle’ that took Colin Bell out for a few games of the run-in, eerily prescient of what Martin Buchan did to ‘The King’ some eight years later..) I also remember, when Allison introduced the red and black AC Milan style change strip a year later, how Big George seemed to look more like an athlete than in sky blue.. an early lesson in fashion tips, the slimming effect of stripes! That 67-68 team was something to watch too.. and as has already been pointed out, the last all-English team to win the title (apart from Bobby Kennedy taking turns with David Connor to be the substitute!) Great memories!

Toffee here, stating the blindingly obvious but thats the best side ive seen at goodison in living memory - 1st half especially.

For all the talk of de bruyne,sane etc....david silva is the one i’d walk over hot coals for - superb positioning,weight of pass, knows when to speed the play up and slow it down - a conductor par excellence- what id give to have someone of that ability playing in royal blue!

I was one of the ones applauding your side off - sometimes you have to sit back and acknowledge when a team is light years ahead of your own.

Anyway best of luck in the champs league - would love it if you took them to the cleaners on one of their “great european nights”!

Cheers quadvod, my good lady is an evertonian and we have some good banter, although i wasn't a happy bunny when you beat us in 2012, sitting in your main stand with her and all the other evertonians taking the piss ( they sussed me out ! ) and me thinking the title was gone, but, as we know events that season had a strange turn of fate at the end

Big Hesser !! I was at OT when we went behind in the first minute to a Best goal and later on up popped Big George to score.We won 1-3 and that was in April of 1968,when 4/5 weeks later we won the League.

A break through night in that era.

The rag fans saw the future that night.....unfortunately it didnt last long enough.

However a lot of them appreciated the football that City played that night cos it was fearless & exhilarating !!

The 68 Chanpions were regularly applauded at away grounds from November onwards. We had a terrific team & played thrilling football.

I was at Reading for the 7-0 cup replay. At the end the pa guy said
"You've been privileged to watch the finest team in the country"

The late George Heslop scored his first City goal that night & we went on to win t cup.

I was at that game, it was actually the year we won the league (January 1968) - we won the cup the following season. Bunked off school with some non-City fan mates, I remember being surrounded by blues who challenged our credentials - I was able to recite the team so they let us pass in peace. Eric Todd in the Guardian started his report with "It came to pass that Goliath took David's sling away from him and beat him about the head with it."

I was at that game, it was actually the year we won the league (January 1968) - we won the cup the following season. Bunked off school with some non-City fan mates, I remember being surrounded by blues who challenged our credentials - I was able to recite the team so they let us pass in peace. Eric Todd in the Guardian started his report with "It came to pass that Goliath took David's sling away from him and beat him about the head with it."

Jan 69.....the year we won the cup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.