Opposition view: Newcastle United

Ric

Administrator
On the blog now:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Blog/index.php/2011/11/16/opposition-view-newcastle-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Blog/ind ... le-united/</a>

Many thanks to Ed from <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nufcblog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.nufcblog.com</a>.

Cheers Ric, most toon fans seem really grounded and it makes you wonder where this 'deluded' tag that appears on forums everywhere has come from. Like us they've been through the mill as fans. I hope they do well, apart from the two games they play us.

Living where I do there are quite a few Newcastle fans around here.
Everyone I've spoken to seems to just be enjoying the ride at the moment and fully expect it all to end pretty soon. It reminds me a little bit of how we were at this stage of the season we had under Sven.

To be fair to them, most have told me that they expect to get a good hiding on Saturday.

The Geordies are OK I suppose, but personally I prefer the Mackems. I've found from experience that they usually have a better sense of humour.

stony said:
Cheers Ric, most toon fans seem really grounded and it makes you wonder where this 'deluded' tag that appears on forums everywhere has come from.

A handful tarnish the reputation of an entire fanbase! Of course when the media peddle it at every turn then tags like that are going to stick.

I've always found it a bizarre label for us, because genuinely I find most of our fanbase to be cynical and negative to the extreme. 40 years of failure and disappointment and people get used to expecting the worst. I read stuff like 'Geordies expect to win the league, think they're a massive club, always demanding Messiah figures etc" and it makes me laugh because it's such drivel.

The only stereotype that is true is people having a huge passion for the team, so I guess that's what drives the delusion/high expectations nonsense.

Sewelly said:
stony said:
Cheers Ric, most toon fans seem really grounded and it makes you wonder where this 'deluded' tag that appears on forums everywhere has come from.

A handful tarnish the reputation of an entire fanbase! Of course when the media peddle it at every turn then tags like that are going to stick.

I've always found it a bizarre label for us, because genuinely I find most of our fanbase to be cynical and negative to the extreme. 40 years of failure and disappointment and people get used to expecting the worst. I read stuff like 'Geordies expect to win the league, think they're a massive club, always demanding Messiah figures etc" and it makes me laugh because it's such drivel.

The only stereotype that is true is people having a huge passion for the team, so I guess that's what drives the delusion/high expectations nonsense.

Seeing as you claim Pardew hasn't managed a 'big club' do you not think that a tad arrogant as i'm sure West Ham fans wouldn't concur re this remark?

A blue mate of mine in his late 50's pointed out a good omen for City involving our mates Newcastle! Last away game of the season 2011 - 2012 v Newcastle United, last away game of season 1967 -1968 v Newcastle United. We'll take a 4 - 3 win again this time shall we??

1_barry_conlon said:
Seeing as you claim Pardew hasn't managed a 'big club' do you not think that a tad arrogant as i'm sure West Ham fans wouldn't concur re this remark?

I claim? I haven't claimed that. Is that taken from the blog? if so apologies for misunderstanding. Most fans were annoyed when Pardew came in because we had sacked somebody who had done a fantastic job for no real reason and replaced him from somebody who had just been sacked by a League One club and had also been sacked by West Ham, relegated with Charlton etc.

His credentials are hardly that brilliant, he did a good job at West Ham in the Championship but ultimately it all came crashing to a hault when he had to manage them in the Premier League. West Ham are a fairly big club but one from an outsider's point of view he had ultimately failed at in the top level. Can you not see the argument for worrying about how qualified he would be for the job at NUFC if he had already failed at his other top flight jobs? I think most of the country thought it was a disasterous appointment at the time.

As it happens it's turned out Pardew is a tactically astute coach, a good motivator and is good with the media so nearly all fans have warmed to him.

Sewelly said:
1_barry_conlon said:

I claim? I haven't claimed that. Is that taken from the blog? if so apologies for misunderstanding. Most fans were annoyed when Pardew came in because we had sacked somebody who had done a fantastic job for no real reason and replaced him from somebody who had just been sacked by a League One club and had also been sacked by West Ham, relegated with Charlton etc.

His credentials are hardly that brilliant, he did a good job at West Ham in the Championship but ultimately it all came crashing to a hault when he had to manage them in the Premier League. West Ham are a fairly big club but one from an outsider's point of view he had ultimately failed at in the top level. Can you not see the argument for worrying about how qualified he would be for the job at NUFC if he had already failed at his other top flight jobs? I think most of the country thought it was a disasterous appointment at the time.

As it happens it's turned out Pardew is a tactically astute coach, a good motivator and is good with the media so nearly all fans have warmed to him.

Quite like Alan Pardew as a manager, came into a tough situation at Newcastle and has performed miracles so far. If i remember rightly Shaun Goater described him as the best coach he had worked under and was amazed at the back end of his career, the amount he was learning about the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.