Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slagged royal on Bluemoon by many, a total waste of money according to some, if Mangala costs us say 6 points and doesn't improve as we hope, it could be disastrous to not swap him now.
in his first season, so give him some slack. Of course its a risk but if we do swap him and turns out to be a world beater then we will regret it. Its a matter of waying up whether we stick and believe in our players or be one of those clubs that if it doesnt work first time they are gone.

If we do end up signing this bloke, can we play it forwever as him snubbing Utd, irrespective of whether he has or not ?

Just write it into history, so it becomes fact, like they do ?

Tolmie said that Utd were briefing the press Thursday that they weren't in for Otamendi. Damage limitation, they've obviously been snubbed :)

We KNOW Otamendi is a quality cb. We HOPE that Mangala becomes one.

We KNOW Otamendi was great for Valencia last season.

Don't think some of you realise how good Otamendi is, he'd comfortably be our best centre back.

When they were at Porto together Mangala was seen as by far the superior CB.

At Porto Mangala was seen as worth £32m. Then he went into Pellegrini's system.

Vinny was one of the best centre backs in the world before Pellegrini arrived.

If there is one thing everyone should have learned by now it's that playing well elsewhere does not mean a CB is going to play well here under Pellers.

I'm actually for this signing, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he arrived and like Mangala, struggled for a season. Which is why it makes no sense to swap him for Mangala who has finally got to grips with things.

The only way this makes sense is if Demichelis is heading out for some reason.

Mangala is going nowhere. Thankfully the club aren't as reactionary as the gobshites in the press and those who's opinions are formed from what MOTD tells them.

Then you had better hope someone is, because a reliable CB is needed.

He had a whole season. At one point he actually seemed to be going backward. with training and a whole pre-season i'd say the club know by now if they have a decent player on their hands, or a bit of a flop...at stuttgart he was dire, as were others to be fair, but there was no pressure in that game really.

What YOU are suggesting is that city stick by a player for an extended amount of time in the chance he might come good...that is all well and good when you have a very dependable set of other defensive options, but city don't have that luxury at this time unfortunately. Vinny was terrible last season, demi is getting old and wishes for his move soon, denayer is unproven, and that is about your lot.

Bringing in a CB with experience, and a good recent track record is very important for city's title chances imo...Besides if it ends up being a loan deal, then mangala can develop a little more in spain, and possibly return a better player.

Either way though in the short term city will be better off.

This, succinctly put.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting yes, that City stick with Mangala, who was part of our best cb pairing last season, & give him at least this season & possibly next season as well, in order to establish himself in the Premier League. What's more, I think that's exactly what City will do.

I don't mean he plays automatically, I mean he is part of the back 4 squad. The best pair starts the most games. If we sign Otamendi I think it's 50/50 he will initially struggle like fuck in our system, in a new league & also cost us a few goals from set pieces but if that is the case, I fully expect us to give him at least two seasons as well.

I don't have to hope fuck all. I'm happy with our CB situation. This season is a clean slate and so far so good. Tomorrow will be a sterner test but then Mangalas best performance last year came against Chelsea so he's more than capable of holding his own. I also have more confidence in Kompany than many others on here. Add in the experience and composure of Demichelis and the promotion of Denayer who looks outstanding already then I'd say we're set.

Maybe we want Mangala but feel he has still some way to go in his development.....sending out on loan for a year to make room for Otamendi and getting him back next year when Demichelis leaves might not be a bad thing..I dont think we'd sell Mangala so soon after paying 30+mil for him but wouldnt be against a 12month loan deal if Otamendi was signing with us....

That's exactly what I'm suggesting yes, that City stick with Mangala, who was part of our best cb pairing last season, & give him at least this season & possibly next season as well, in order to establish himself in the Premier League. What's more, I think that's exactly what City will do.

I don't mean he plays automatically, I mean he is part of the back 4 squad. The best pair starts the most games. If we sign Otamendi I think it's 50/50 he will initially struggle like fuck in our system, in a new league & also cost us a few goals from set pieces but if that is the case, I fully expect us to give him at least two seasons as well.

Well lets hope thats its demi that makes way then...

I don't have to hope fuck all.

Same personel at CB last year were almost shambolic at times, and once again recently in stuttgart, but hey...if you say its fine then coolio.

City are not going to send a £32m pound defender on loan, especially when he was given the nod against West Brom. The only candidate for that imo is Denayer but again the club have promised him a fair crack of first team football. If in January Denayer doesn't get many opportunities then he should be loaned out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.