our academy - overated ? discuss

Our under 9s through to U14s played the rags over the weekend just gone not one team won utd won the lot apart from the U12s getting a 0-0 our academy is not producing players of the quality we require I had the unfortunate privilege of watching our U11s get beat 7-3 and were lucky to come away with that
Our academy is not all it is cracked up to be trust me

excellent post this one above
i watch academy football every sunday and all every club is interested in is how tall will they be, big and fast but cant control a football to save their lives is a requirement.

my son played city the other week and all city do is boot the ball up field to the big lads, hardly any football played

half the spanish team that won the world cup this year wouldnt have made it in this country as a footballer for being too small, thats why this countrys football is so poor

we need to start bringing through footballers

lancs blue said:
big blueballs said:
Our under 9s through to U14s played the rags over the weekend just gone not one team won utd won the lot apart from the U12s getting a 0-0 our academy is not producing players of the quality we require I had the unfortunate privilege of watching our U11s get beat 7-3 and were lucky to come away with that

It's not about how they do at that level, it's how they progress in the 16-19 age range that will determine their futures. At those younger ages games can turn on whether one side has a couple of lads who are physically bigger and stronger for their age.

Before being over-critical of the Academy players on show last night it;s worth recalling that most were signed pre-takeover and of course that has raised the bar significantly for the standard of youngsters we need. Better to judge the Academy in 4 or 5 years time to see if we're bringing through some potential stars.

i agree with your statement to a point, but the main problem i am trying to highlight is how we develop players, you are quite right results at the early stages especially from U9 through to U12s should not matter and i have stated that on here before, as long as the performance and progression of players is right,
but do you know which club puts emphasis on results at those early stages and i will give you a clue it is not the rags and this is where there philosophy and ours differ massively

as i said i watched the U11s and every corner, free kick utd got was played short every single one same with goal kicks, unfortunately the same could not be said with us at one point the city coach said to one of his players taking a free kick from the half way line "put it under the bar" in other words launch it, so they loaded the box and that's what they did, i could not believe it that is Sunday morning stuff

and this is where we have problems within our academy until we stop trying to make teams
in the early stages of development and start looking to progress players instead we will never have a player come through that is of the required quality

our academy needs a full overhaul in my opinion and the scouting network needs looking at too as i don't think there are enough out there looking, to ensure we get the right players in the door and when we get them they progress as footballers with the correct building blocks in place early doors and more emphasis on technical ability and skill rather than being big and strong only then will we see any real world class players come through

yes.

kids have to be taught to play the right way from the start, by 16-19 they should be so technically sound that they just need to bulk a bit and monitor the physical growth, but the ability for whatever position they are in should have already been nurtured to play in the proper way.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
yes.

kids have to be taught to play the right way from the start, by 16-19 they should be so technically sound that they just need to bulk a bit and monitor the physical growth, but the ability for whatever position they are in should have already been nurtured to play in the proper way.
this is the reason that arsenals kids look so comfortable when they play in the 1st team as the have been carefully selected from an early age to suit what they require in a player and nurtured, technical ability 1st and foremost and the rest ie the power and strength is added later and sometimes it is not required

chelseaaway84 said:

M8 my lad plays for the u9's and they didnt lose they spent most of the morning doing training drills with united. When they did play a match city had to play uniteds 5 a side football our boys are used to 8 a side. City won 1 of these games about 8-0 and overall we won the majority of the games.

Also if your son plays for the academy im sure you are aware that there has been major changes in the coaching staff and the structure of the academy so from my point of view our academy is doing fine and in the next 10 years we will see some very good / world class players progressing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.