Our relationship with the Champions League

Never had an issue with the Champions League. Gives us an opportunity to compete with Europe's biggest teams and make history in the process. We should be embracing it.

On the premier league vs the CL debate, to me it has to be the CL,

1 The standard is far higher than the premier league, the 1st 2 seasons when we failed to get out of the group stages, every team we played against were better than any of the PL teams we played at home. If we want to be the best we have to beat the best
2 We have won the PL twice in recent years, sure we want to win it again, but progression is what's wanted by the owners. Unfortunately to do both is extraordinarily difficult now.
3 Are the referees more bent than the PL, probably not, that Fellah on Wednesday was atrocious, but was he worse than Walton, Dean(on a bad day) and others . Last season I thought most of the CL refs we had did a better job than the PL lot.
4 Is UEFA more institutionally Anti city and pro the establishment than PL/FA. Maybe maybe not , but just read Gary James's books and you'll realise how bent the old FA establishment actually was, and how City were treated. The reality is that it's the G14 who are exerting their influence, and UEFA are not strong enough to resist, the new president say's he's against the proposed seeding and revenue changes, let's see.
5 We will never be considered great until we have won the damned thing. It is the pinnacle of European club football.

Since watching Celtic, and then United win in grainy black and white when I was a kid- don't forget back in the day it was one of the few games shown live, I've coveted the trophy, and I never in my wildest dreams ever expected us to win it.

I have more issue with the FA/PL/Sky establishment who seem determined to make it as hard as possible for English teams to compete, especially in the latter stages, Italy and Germany arrange the domestic fixtures to help their teams, and give them maximum recovery times.

Boo the anthem, it's fine by me, should we let it pass probably....

1 The standard is far higher than the premier league, the 1st 2 seasons when we failed to get out of the group stages, every team we played against were better than any of the PL teams we played at home. If we want to be the best we have to beat the best
2 We have won the PL twice in recent years, sure we want to win it again, but progression is what's wanted by the owners. Unfortunately to do both is extraordinarily difficult now.
3 Are the referees more bent than the PL, probably not, that Fellah on Wednesday was atrocious, but was he worse than Walton, Dean(on a bad day) and others . Last season I thought most of the CL refs we had did a better job than the PL lot.
4 Is UEFA more institutionally Anti city and pro the establishment than PL/FA. Maybe maybe not , but just read Gary James's books and you'll realise how bent the old FA establishment actually was, and how City were treated. The reality is that it's the G14 who are exerting their influence, and UEFA are not strong enough to resist, the new president say's he's against the proposed seeding and revenue changes, let's see.
5 We will never be considered great until we have won the damned thing. It is the pinnacle of European club football.

Since watching Celtic, and then United win in grainy black and white when I was a kid- don't forget back in the day it was one of the few games shown live, I've coveted the trophy, and I never in my wildest dreams ever expected us to win it.

I have more issue with the FA/PL/Sky establishment who seem determined to make it as hard as possible for English teams to compete, especially in the latter stages, Italy and Germany arrange the domestic fixtures to help their teams, and give them maximum recovery times.

An excellent post

An excellent post
Particularly that bit.

Some good stuff in there.

For me, our own parochial issues are one thing TO US, but to the rest of Europe, it sounds like whining from a Johnny Come Lately.

Our ownership is determined to change the narrative on City. They are determined to FORCE the entrenched power in Europe to sit up, take notice, and to put City into a position that will not ALLOW UEFA ignore us, treat us like a second fiddle, or act like we are not one of the new top teams in Europe.

Last season, even getting into the SF and losing by 1-0 over two legs to Real Madrid was treated like a fluke. The manner of the loss in Madrid was treated as indicative of a team out of top level ideas or ability to produce a top level performance, even in such an important game. It is as if City never made it to the last 4. This victory, and the manner of the comeback, may well help change that narrative, but IMHO it is what happens FROM HERE that matters now.

If we go forward from here with two victories, or at least a draw away and win at home, we will qualify with solid results and then NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THE GROUP WINNERS WILL WANT TO PLAY US...and there is a good chance two group winners will be English, so the universe of potential opponents decreases dramatically!

So, Real Madrid or Bayern?

Watching the game on TV, it was clear that the atmosphere early was good, then the lull after the goal, but then by the end of the first half, it was beginning to sound like a good Euro night. My best recent example of a spine tingling Euro night was Hamburg, where we need a single goal to go through and did everything but score it, but from the second half (at least on TV) it sounded like this Barca game may well have exceeded that night(?).

I hope this game will begin the new era of City in Europe. I honestly believe that we can beat ANY TEAM over two legs. This year ANYTHING can happen, depending upon which City team shows up. We have the players, we have the coach, and I'm actually surprised we managed to put it all together in the second half against Barca. There were inklings in Barcelona, but Bravo put paid to that.

Maybe, just maybe, Pep keeps telling the world we are not good enough, the players challenge that notion on the field, and we go further than anyone thought possible this season?

Or, maybe we don't qualify?! This is City, after all!!!

I like the fact that UEFA have paid us £95m and we are still booing their little ditty , the shite draws we have been given and the Moscow fiasco will never be forgotten by some of our supporters

I'd only be comfortable winning it as league champions. Although weds night and the 3-2 v bayern were nights I'll never forget. I still think it should be only for champions. Major cup winners too at a push. never going to happen now though

Absolutely not.

I think the format is bogus, the decisions made by UEFA are Stalinesque, the seeding is corrupt and the favouritism shown by officials laughably clear.

Even if you ignore the treatment City have received from UEFA in terms of FFP and fines for racism/timekeeping many of the above concerns devalue the competition in my eyes.

Give me the old European Cup and I might find it more appealing.

This is my view turn it back into a knockout for the league winners and it would be one hell of a competion not the contrieved tortuous abortion it is now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.