Outdoor swimming

Yer wouldn't do it now, Barcon. There's more shit in that stretch by Tesco's than the rest of the canal!
We used to go a bit further down, behind Malborough drive and jump off the locks. It was full of old cars, beds and bags of dead kittens. Then there was the factory that made rubber insoles that just pumped scunge into the canal every day.

We used to go a bit further down, behind Malborough drive and jump off the locks. It was full of old cars, beds and bags of dead kittens. Then there was the factory that made rubber insoles that just pumped scunge into the canal every day.

We lived down on the border between Blackley and Crumpsall where the River Irk flowed through ICI - it had a different colour each day from a dull maroon to a bright royal blue!

We lived down on the border between Blackley and Crumpsall where the River Irk flowed through ICI - it had a different colour each day from a dull maroon to a bright royal blue!

A mate of mine worked as a chemist for the ICI in Blackley, his first job as a 16 year old apprentice was to empty a load of 45 gallon barrels of grunge into the river Irk. That was over 50 years ago and apparently that's how they did things in them days.

Have you actually watched any of the United Utilities warnings about swimming in reservoirs? There are numerous deaths each year caused by kids swimming in reservoirs in hot weather. When the body encounters extreme cold suddenly, it can go into shock and cause temporary paralysis. Panic sets in, the person can't move properly and in many cases drowns. This can happen to very strong swimmers. Believe me, it is not mere scare-mongering.

So that's the main danger? People going in the water when it's colder than they think.

Every time I've been in a body of water over here, the temperature's been fine but then again, I only go outdoor swimming in summer.

When I've been to foreign countries, they actually encourage you to go into the water and have mini tourist/holiday industries centred around the lakes/reservoirs. Seems strange that we seem to have such a problem with it over here, maybe we just have a much bigger population of people who will jump in the water irrespective of the temperature.

I had a client who had a small river (deep
Enough for a swim anyway) flowing through her land in the Lakes. About 80m went through her garden. She went for a swim every morning. Lovely house. Not for me though as I’m a crap swimmer and struggle with 25m in the local pool!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.