Outside Maine Road...6th November 1971....3-3 Derby Day Pictures

Ha ha. Some great memories there. Yeah, we too used to travel all over the place to watch City. Eventually we got fed up with being herded about like cattle so one of us came up with the idea of ringing up each away ground for seat tickets in with the Home supporters. We were usually able to arrange to collect on matchdays & pay for them on collection. Sounds unbelievable now but it was possible to do that in those days. Had some great banter with home fans without all the police hassle. A classic was at Notts County in the cup, sat in their main stand. I was saying to my mates what donkeys the two Short brothers were. The woman in front of me turned around and said "Do you mind ? They're my sons ! " Had a good laugh about that and in fairness she was really good about it. In fact she said that they were both playing like donkeys that day. Lol.
When other fans sing WWYWYWS I always have a wry smile to myself.
I can remember when I started going in the mid-late 70s there always used to be a section in the program about the next away match. It gave road directions, told you what the away terrace was but also gave you the address of the opposition club and the price of their seats so you could send off a PO or check and get a ticket returned. For some reason, IIRC, the price was always given in pence and not pounds, ie 250p.

I can remember when I started going in the mid-late 70s there always used to be a section in the program about the next away match. It gave road directions, told you what the away terrace was but also gave you the address of the opposition club and the price of their seats so you could send off a PO or check and get a ticket returned. For some reason, IIRC, the price was always given in pence and not pounds, ie 250p.
Tickets were priced in pence back then.

Anything in pounds would buy you a season ticket!

Heck. I avoid red everyday. No red clothing, no consumer products in red packaging. Even outlawed red Christmas decorations in the house.

In summery, red is the ugliest colour. It makes me sick.
Are you married? You must dread the monthly painter’s visit

There wasn't any formal segregation then, most fans just went & stood where it felt safe. In practice however the rags tended to gather at the Platt Lane end of the Kippax, encouraged to do so by the police. I well remember that match and as was usual for me & my mates we stood in the Kippax with our rag mates. Same for the return at the Swamp later in the season. That was what we did in those days & we had to take whatever came. Lol.
That November game was MacIlroy's debut for the rags & he was only 17. He scored twice I think, & I couldn't believe what was happening. Fortunately Buzzer scored a late equaliser, in what was a cracking derby (for neutrals !).
I think Mcllroy just got the one goal on his utd debut,still quite an achievement for a 17 year old tbf.what a match to make your debut,away at maine rd in front of 63k fans..probably the biggest crowd he ever played in front of in his whole career...

Interestingly, he also scored for City on his debut,his only goal for us..against Coventry City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.