Overrating players/Adam Johnson

johnmc

We seem to have a habit of doing this don't we?

Richards, Ireland and M. Johnson are three prime examples.

No Im worried about us doing the same with A Johnson. He, at the minute, is promising. Nothing more really. He had a couple of good games, a couple of decent games and a couple of fairly anonymous games last season. Now he is the buy of the decade, answer to the problems for club and country and will probably lead the country out of the recession.

Come on, he has yet to justify his fairly hefty price tag yet, but in the transfer thread people are saying he is a £20m + player!!

Lets not ruin another one.

Well Richards, Sven happened to him and that was the end of Richards

M.Johnson has been perma injured but thats not because people satrted calling him the next Colin Bell

A.Johnson unlike Richards seems more level headed and fingers crossed isnt injury prone alcohol lover.

Unlike the old days of young good players, we dont have to pin our hopes to him so he can grow without the immense pressure of the club on him

johnmc said:
We seem to have a habit of doing this don't we?

Richards, Ireland and M. Johnson are three prime examples.

No Im worried about us doing the same with A Johnson. He, at the minute, is promising. Nothing more really. He had a couple of good games, a couple of decent games and a couple of fairly anonymous games last season. Now he is the buy of the decade, answer to the problems for club and country and will probably lead the country out of the recession.

Come on, he has yet to justify his fairly hefty price tag yet, but in the transfer thread people are saying he is a £20m + player!!

Lets not ruin another one.

fans don't ruin players!

players ruin themselves.

Sheikh Django said:
but even in his fairly anonymous games he got assists. His assist to game ratio was stunning last season.

As far as i can tell he started 14 games and had 5 assists and 1 goal?

SWP started 19 games with 7 assists and 4 goals.

The putting down and willingness to sell of SWP compared to the over hyping over Johnson is plain to see but unjustified.

I want him to suceed but he needs to do a lot of developing before he is the player some are making him out to be already

Never rated Richards, he's the most brain dead footballer I have seen at City. Lapses in concentration is being polite. Might have looked decent to some during the Pearce drivel, but I've never rated him as a defender. Being big, powerful and arrogant doesn't make you a clever and able footballer.

Ireland is and still is a good player, lacking the self belief perhaps to be a great player.

From what we have seen of M. Johnson, he looks the most promising box to box midfielder with a great engine we have had for a LONG time, but fear his injuries might prevent him reaching his potential.

My evidence for rating A. Johnson, is having seen a player come playing championship football early season to making an immediate, consistent contribution to a team playing for a top 4 spot. Add to that, the majority of the England press, players, all noted he was the best player in training prior to the world cup. If Capello wasn't a pillock, he'd have gone, and certainly been more productive than Lennon, SWP, Gerrard, Millner in my opinion. We have seen many young players play for City, but how many recently have instantly been better than A.Johnson?

I don't see your point at all - what are you trying to say? - every player City have signed I have tried to see the good bits (including Martin Phillips) and justify them to myself, and others around me - as fantastic players, even when I know, deep down they are pants or over the hill.

I don't think us overrating them spoils them at all, in fact I don't think our opinions on them on a club forum has any effect on our players whatsoever.

Do you honestly think just because a City fan says on an Internet forum that AJ is worth £20 million that he will lose all skill, sense and power in his legs or that he will be banging down Bobby Mancs door asking for a transfer or a pay rise?

Take yourself outside and give yourself a good talking to fella and stop being so bloody negative - the future is bright, the future is City!!

gio's side step said:
My evidence for rating A. Johnson, is having seen a player come playing championship football early season to making an immediate, consistent contribution to a team playing for a top 4 spot. Add to that, the majority of the England press, players, all noted he was the best player in training prior to the world cup. If Capello wasn't a pillock, he'd have gone, and certainly been more productive than Lennon, SWP, Gerrard, Millner in my opinion. We have seen many young players play for City, but how many recently have instantly been better than A.Johnson?

He had a good impact correct. No arguments. He looks like a good player and might one day be a great player - but he isnt yet. We have also seen time and time again players come in, make a good impression then slip back. Lets judge him after a season or two , not label him the biggest thing since Maradonna.

Certainly and In my opinion dont really go together do they. Maybe he would maybe he wouldnt.

And johnson is 23 with 60 odd prem games under his belt before he came to us

gio's side step said:
Never rated Richards, he's the most brain dead footballer I have seen at City. Lapses in concentration is being polite. Might have looked decent to some during the Pearce drivel, but I've never rated him as a defender. Being big, powerful and arrogant doesn't make you a clever and able footballer.

Ireland is and still is a good player, lacking the self belief perhaps to be a great player.

From what we have seen of M. Johnson, he looks the most promising box to box midfielder with a great engine we have had for a LONG time, but fear his injuries might prevent him reaching his potential.

That's a good post and one I agree with, although I rate Richards higher than you.

Johnson looks a fantastic player to me. What he has is the ability to go past players both ways. with tight control and quick feet.

Wingers who can put it past the fullback and do them for pace like Lennon and Ramsey are commonplace. Johnson's ability is rarer and more dangerous.

He's not just a prospect, he's an excellent players already.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.