Owner of next door wants to chop down joint chimney stack

He rents it out. I don't know him. The kids who live next door are sound, don't hear a peep out of them

Been onto building control today and he did not register the work he had done on the chimney breasts. Because it is over 2 years ago, there is nothing they can do.
I don't understand, is the chimney stack still standing but unsupported on his side of the party wall?

Bit suspicious this one. Why exactly does he want to remove the chimney stack if he has already removed the chimney breasts? Is he after more space in the loft or has he noticed a problem? If there is then it could prevent you from selling if your prospective buyer gets a proper survey. One solution would be to agree on the basis he gets the correct building regs done this time if losing your chimney is no issue for you.

He rents it out. I don't know him. The kids who live next door are sound, don't hear a peep out of them

Been onto building control today and he did not register the work he had done on the chimney breasts. Because it is over 2 years ago, there is nothing they can do.

make sure your buildings insurance includes legal cover, then when his stack falls through the house you can sue him.

Fucking dangerous if he has took half the chimney out on his side, dodgy fucker. Work like that has to be signed off for a reason.

Fucking dangerous if he has took half the chimney out on his side, dodgy fucker. Work like that has to be signed off for a reason.
Can you remove a chimney breast with a shared party wall?
In a terraced or semi-detached house, the chimney stack could be sited on a shared party wall. In order to remove the chimney breast within the roof space, there would have to be extensive negotiation with the owner of the adjacent property, which may well share the flue. Such discussions often prove to be onerous and non-productive, to the point where they are not pursued.

Instead, the decision is usually made to support the chimney breast within the roof space, rather than remove it.
https://www.jamesrossandcoltd.co.uk/blog/unsupported-chimney-stack-what-you-need-to-know.htm

Put his fucking windows in and set fire to his couch. Or. have a quiet word and sort it out in a gentlemanly manner.

I'm swaying toward the former, but, don't listen to me. No **** else does.

If your neighbour used the word “chopped” it would immediately get me thinking he wasn't all that with regards to structural engineering

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.