Pablo Maffeo

Thanks for your reply. Surely, whether there is or isn't a BBC is irrelevant to your argument as it was based on principle? For me, we are in a position of strength and dominance and need to put more distance between us and the pack, which I don't believe we can do trialling youth for a few games to see ifthey come good. Their interview is on the training ground, pass that and you will be given the chance. I think that is how it should be too at the level we are now operating

Yes, it is based on principle and yes I am still disappointed. But at least there is the opportunity to bring him back after he yet again shows his talent. As far as I know we are not looking to sign another right-back. The choice is simply between Danilo and Maffeo. In the case of Danilo we have a very good idea of what he is capable of. He's at the age and stage of his career where I don't expect him to improve enormously, though it is not unheard of and I fully appreciate that I could be proven wrong on that. Maffeo was never going to be replacing Walker. Maffeo is a very different player to both Waker and Danilo and would have added something else to the squad. I don't believe that replacing Danilo with Maffeo would have had caused serious detriment to our chances of having a successful season. So I reject the argument that Maffeo would have made our squad significantly weaker. In the longer term I think that it would have made our squad stronger and that the small risk was worth taking.

Real are hoovering talent all across Spain, City have more competition in this respect.

Besides, Spanish teams have B-teams playing in proper leagues, it surely helps to develop youngsters. Serie A are implementing the same system starting from the next season. The gap between youth and senior football is not City's problem, it's a problem of English football and FA in general. Pep have already brought up this issue in his interviews.
Which made it even more bizarre that he didn't give Foden, Nmencha and Diaz more game time when the title was wrapped up.

Yes, it is based on principle and yes I am still disappointed. But at least there is the opportunity to bring him back after he yet again shows his talent. As far as I know we are not looking to sign another right-back. The choice is simply between Danilo and Maffeo. In the case of Danilo we have a very good idea of what he is capable of. He's at the age and stage of his career where I don't expect him to improve enormously, though it is not unheard of and I fully appreciate that I could be proven wrong on that. Maffeo was never going to be replacing Walker. Maffeo is a very different player to both Waker and Danilo and would have added something else to the squad. I don't believe that replacing Danilo with Maffeo would have had caused serious detriment to our chances of having a successful season. So I reject the argument that Maffeo would have made our squad significantly weaker. In the longer term I think that it would have made our squad stronger and that the small risk was worth taking.
No probs with your views mate and I respect them, dont agree as you dont with mine but that is here nor there. At no point though did I say he would have made us significant weaker.

Are you serious? Maffeo is easily one of the best U21 RBs in the world, and in my opinion, he`s better than Danilo. Have you watched a single Girona game this season? This guy is class, and replacing him with Danilo would not make the squad any weaker. Bet that at least half of the people who says that Danilo is better haven`t watched a single Girona game this season

Is he better then Mendy? Danilo is more of a back up.. you think a 20yr old with that much potential would want to sit on the bench?

Funny, yesterday we brought on Diaz and Foden at 0-0 and the game finished 1-0 to City.

There's no evidence to suggest that playing youngsters loses you points, let alone titles. It's probably the opposite as you end up with more strength in depth beyond the permitted 25-man senior squad.

Sad that Maffeo hasn't had a chance here but accept it would have been unfair to Danilo to move him on after a fairly decent season. Shame we didn't get Alves last summer though as a transition from him to Maffeo may have been more likely this summer.

WE brought them on bc the title was ours.. don’t know if we would have had everyone been fit and we needed a win.. don’t think they would have even been on the bench.

Is he better then Mendy? Danilo is more of a back up.. you think a 20yr old with that much potential would want to sit on the bench?
Mendy and Maffeo plays in two different positions, so don't understand why he would have to be better than Mendy. We could end up playing around 60 games next season, and if Maffeo could play 20 of them, and be first choice in a couple years, that might have been a good enough offer to make him willing to be here

WE brought them on bc the title was ours.. don’t know if we would have had everyone been fit and we needed a win.. don’t think they would have even been on the bench.

It was in response to a post of yours saying playing some youngsters some of the time would cost City titles. The Southampton game showed that bringing kids on won't cost points.

Mendy and Maffeo plays in two different positions, so don't understand why he would have to be better than Mendy. We could end up playing around 60 games next season, and if Maffeo could play 20 of them, and be first choice in a couple years, that might have been a good enough offer to make him willing to be here

My thoughts exactly, which makes your post excellent, obviously lol

Big clubs recognised years ago that their youth teams are a money spinner. I think that’s what they primarily are these days. If any ever truly show they are good enough for the first team they will play, if not they’ll all be off for £5-15m to decent but average clubs around Europe or the Championship - at their true level. I think we (and probably fans of all clubs) tend to overrate our youth players; “the next big thing” always seems to be coming through and they end up at Celtic or Celta Vigo.

Money spinner or not you need a certain amount of homegrown or English players in your squad by the rules. Maffeo was an obvious candidate and wouldn't weaken the squad. It would mean Danilo would have to be sold but we'll have to sell a non-homegrown player to buy more anyway.

If Danilo does move on in a season or two then we have a ready made replacement on a buy back. Maybe it's viewed more as a long term loan.

Yea good point lol. Still I’ll put my trust in pep and the staff maybe they see something we don’t. As long as we don’t sell Foden,diaz is happy.. would also be sad we sold Zinchenko.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.