Pablo Maffeo

I guess the only time when a youth player on loan would have a real chance to come back to City and play regularly if after his loan spell other teams fighting to sign him would be from the Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern, PSG level of clubs.

Price is a bit low imo no question Chelsea would have got somehow close to 20m for same player.
That's because Chelsea don't put buy backs in. Hasn't worked out too well for them.

Who's spot out of Walker and Danilo is he taking then in your opinion?

Danilo, I presume we still need some home grown talent to keep in line with the rules.

Danilo was an okay reserve but not 25m worth, truth be told I would have preferred Mafeo to have stayed as the under study, he proved he could have handled it by the way he played in Spain last season.

What has Rashford got to do with us?

I fully appreciate that. I'm not saying that we are worse than other clubs in respect to this. However, the club consistently claim that the objective is to promote youth through the academy to the senior squad. So far only Iheanancho has made it.

I can see you are quite passionate about this and I must confess to not reading all of the posts but, to raise a point you make about the club consistently claiming to promote youth. Surely you must acknowledge that to break through, you have to be better than the player you aim to replace. On that basis, it would be quite evident that Pablo, whilst an exceptional player, doesn't meet that criteria.

Whilst all fans will have view about x or y being good enough, we are not the best of judges.

Danilo, I presume we still need some home grown talent to keep in line with the rules.

Danilo was an okay reserve but not 25m worth, truth be told I would have preferred Mafeo to have stayed as the under study, he proved he could have handled it by the way he played in Spain last season.

Surely playing in Spain cannot be construed as playing in the PL - gen question

Surely you must acknowledge that to break through, you have to be better than the player you aim to replace.

I disagree with this somewhat. If this is the benchmark then the chances for any of the academy prospects (present and future) to break into the squad are negligible. What is far more important for me is the potential of the player. I do recognise that this is extremely difficult to judge in many cases, but it's impossible to know what the player is capable of unless you play them for a prolonged period of time. My belief is that he deserved a chance based on the fact that he is competing against Danilo, who I do not consider to be a far superior player.

Since I initially posted it has become apparent that the club did insert a buy-back clause into the contract. My initial thoughts on this were based on reports at the time which suggested there was no buy-back clause.

It's a constant dilemma-how do you maintain your spot at the top of the league and still give lots of game time to our GYL's? I am sure all the hierarchy at City would love to have the Spanish set up of having a B team. I don't think that there is a simple answer to the problem...

This is it in a nutshell. And as we’ve just pulled up trees with the other members of the squad - including an improving Danilo - I’m happy to back the club’s judgement.

Always liked Pablo and thought of him as a mini Zaba, disappointed he’s gone more on an individual level than the whole academy picture, because it’s clear that it’s a cash cow rather than to actually produce players for the first team

No, it’s not binary. A small minority will make it with City. Only a few, but that’s better than none. And you can see there are one or two in serious contention as we speak. A number of others will benefit from excellent development but find it necessary to move on. Is that so bad?

If we were a mid-table Championship side, more would get a chance to stay. But we are not. We’re fcukin Centurions.

I’d support an argument for them getting more minutes than now but I wouldn’t question the underlying model.

No, it’s not binary. A small minority will make it with City. Only a few, but that’s better than none. And you can see there are one or two in serious contention as we speak. A number of others will benefit from excellent development but find it necessary to move on. Is that so bad?

If we were a mid-table Championship side, more would get a chance to stay. But we are not. We’re fcukin Centurions.

I’d support an argument for them getting more minutes than now but I wouldn’t question the underlying model.
I think it’s more a case of “if any make it to the first team it’s a bonus, not fussed if none do”

I disagree with this somewhat. If this is the benchmark then the chances for any of the academy prospects (present and future) to break into the squad are negligible. What is far more important for me is the potential of the player. I do recognise that this is extremely difficult to judge in many cases, but it's impossible to know what the player is capable of unless you play them for a prolonged period of time. My belief is that he deserved a chance based on the fact that he is competing against Danilo, who I do not consider to be a far superior player.

Since I initially posted it has become apparent that the club did insert a buy-back clause into the contract. My initial thoughts on this were based on reports at the time which suggested there was no buy-back clause.
Thanks for your reply. Surely, whether there is or isn't a BBC is irrelevant to your argument as it was based on principle? For me, we are in a position of strength and dominance and need to put more distance between us and the pack, which I don't believe we can do trialling youth for a few games to see ifthey come good. Their interview is on the training ground, pass that and you will be given the chance. I think that is how it should be too at the level we are now operating

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.