Pablo Zabaleta - The Ironman

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Dirty Harry said:
Let's be honest, he puts a lot of our squad to shame with his attitude, workrate and drive, when Richards is back (because I'm sure RM sees him as first choice right-back), I'd find a place in midfield for Pablo, he has all the traits you need in abundance if you want to win things.
Apart from vision which is what we need in the middle. We have far better players than Zab fro the middle of the park. Richards is not going to be walking back with Zab playing as well as he is

I certainly agree with you and QR that he shouldn't walk back into the side at Zabs expense, but maybe Mancini sees it differently ? In any case I think we have enough 'vision' or 'creativity' in the side with the likes of Yaya, Silva, Aguero and even Nasri to put Zab in there and do a job that is needed to be done, the most successful rag and dipper sides all only had a few players with true vision, the rest were good, hard-working and athletic players.

For me, what this side is missing is that tenacity and drive from the middle of the park, someone who, when the game is getting away from us has it in them to take it by the scruff of the neck and lead by example, I hate to say it but this team would improve immeasurably if we had a Keane/Gattuso/Doyle type player, a born winner, one who wouldn't accept half-hearted and/or piss poor performances from others, how many players of this ilk do we genuinely have ? I'd suggest Zab stands head and shoulders above anyone in this department and for now, if it came to it I wouldn't hesitate to give him a place in midfield.

Zab's been fantastic the longer his run in the side has been. Really pleased he's got some form of recognition by being given the armband when Vinny went off.

He's not as quick to dive in as he once was and as Harry mentioned, his workrate and attitude put many of our players to shame.

I wonder if he could do a job in midfield alongside Barry.

Toure, Silva, Nasri, Tevez have more than enough 'vision' going forward.

People will claim he's not good enough on the ball to play in midfield, but I would have him there all day long. Like you say, some balls are required in the heart of the team, Zab has huge cojones, and I'd be perfectly happy with him slotting into midfield.

The bonus would be that he'd keep Garcia as far away from the team as possible.

GStar said:
Zab's been fantastic the longer his run in the side has been. Really pleased he's got some form of recognition by being given the armband when Vinny went off.

He's not as quick to dive in as he once was and as Harry mentioned, his workrate and attitude put many of our players to shame.

I know what you and Harry are saying I just dont think drive and determination are enough for central midfield. He is a great player no doubt but I feel he would get lost in Midfield. I wouldn't hesitate at putting him in the center of defense or even the right wing with Maicon but the middle of the park may be just a bit too much with his abilities. Then again I might be wrong

quiet_riot said:
People will claim he's not good enough on the ball to play in midfield, but I would have him there all day long. Like you say, some balls are required in the heart of the team, Zab has huge cojones, and I'd be perfectly happy with him slotting into midfield.

This is an important point for me, and for a number of reasons, he's never going to spray 60 yard, pinpoint passes around the field, but then again how many midfielders in the Premier league actually do ? You go through all the teams there are very few, most consist of good, solid pro's (and most wouldn't get in ahead of Zab) who get in and about the game quickly and then give it simple to those who can, Zab fits into this catergory with ease.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a midfield three of Zab, Milner, Barry and leave the more free and creative roles to Yaya,Silva and Tevez/Aguero, that's a great supporting engine room, with a bit of experience and along with overlapping fullbacks I feel would see us do well.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
GStar said:

I know what you and Harry are saying I just dont think drive and determination are enough for central midfield. He is a great player no doubt but I feel he would get lost in Midfield. I wouldn't hesitate at putting him in the center of defense or even the right wing with Maicon but the middle of the park may be just a bit too much with his abilities. Then again I might be wrong

Look at players like Fletcher though. Not the most technical, but decent enough, and gives 100%. Having flair players is great,but they need backing up.

quiet_riot said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
GStar said:

Look at players like Fletcher though. Not the most technical, but decent enough, and gives 100%. Having flair players is great,but they need backing up.

I agree but we already have Barry and Milner and Yaya. Milner is full of drive and heart as is Barry. Zab offers no more than them its sort of just making a place fro him in case Micah takes his place because we like him, like I said though Micah is in no way going to walk back in to the team

quiet_riot said:

The bonus would be that he'd keep Garcia as far away from the team as possible.
Well said!

I'm paraphrasing but wasn't it Bacon who stated that for a championship winning side he looks to have 2-3 'superstars' or players who are capable of changing games with skill, the rest are made up of good, solid hardworking pro's ? I think he knows one or two things about building a championship winning side :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.