Panic On The Streets of Tampa! / Hurricane Milton

I feel a little left out, it’s autumn in it’s finest here, a month of no rain, no wind, colors are blowing up,
It’s Autumn in its finest here in Maine, as well, only with the wind and rain, after almost none in Summer.

Hopefully the southeast can experience some respite after Milton. Cannot bare the thought of yet another hurricane again coming through shortly after.

I am hoping we have an uneventful late fall / early winter here, too, after the two storms that came through in late December and early January that caused widespread power outages and a lot of damage from fallen trees, poles, and mass wasting, including to our and our neighbours’ home.

It’s Autumn in its finest here in Maine, as well, only with the wind and rain, after almost none in Summer.

Hopefully the southeast can experience some respite after Milton. Cannot bare the thought of yet another hurricane again coming through shortly after.
I think Helena might be the most unreported disaster in history, NC has been devasted

I think Helena might be the most unreported disaster in history, NC has been devasted
It’s been reported fairly heavily here, at least, and I know several people that live in and around Asheville, so they have been sending updates as they can.

I think Milton is also getting a lot more coverage ahead of landfall because of the devastation Helene caused. One of the issues was people inland didn’t really take the storm seriously (often emergency services as much as residents) and I think everyone is trying to avoid that happening again.

And, to be fair, a lot of people moved to the Asheville area because it was touted as a climate refuge, so they didn’t feel there was much to fear.

It’s been reported fairly heavily here, at least, and I know several people that live in and around Asheville, so they have been sending updates as they can.

I think Milton is also getting a lot more coverage ahead of landfall because of the devastation Helene caused. One of the issues was people inland didn’t really take the storm seriously (often emergency services as much as residents) and I think everyone is trying to avoid that happening again.

And, to be fair, a lot of people moved to the Asheville area because it was touted as a climate refuge, so they didn’t feel there was much to fear.
I have friends right there, I guess I’ll take sub freezing temps for months at a time than that

I have friends right there, I guess I’ll take sub freezing temps for months at a time than that
Yeah. I’ll take the cold, as well.

That said, part of the reason we decided to buy property away from the coast in Maine was because it is rated as one of the most climate change resilient states in the US, and in the developed world more generally.

But I think Helene’s impact on Asheville illustrates there really is no such thing because the change actually leads to many unpredictable impacts.

Maine is warming faster than most other states and is projected to get wetter over the next few decades. But maybe it won’t get wetter. Perhaps, contrary to forecasts, it will get drier in addition to hotter. Or maybe we’ll start regularly getting super nor’easters.

Just last fall / winter we had two strong storms that came through which knocked out power for half the state for days and lead to widespread damage from down trees, poles, land slides, and flooding, including to my and our neighbours’ home. It took months to even get contractors out to assess the damage and give us quotes for repair/rebuild because they were completely overwhelmed with the number of projects. And it set us back $25,000 (as it was not classified part of a major disaster by the government but was classified as an act of god by insurance). It was worse for our neighbours who had half a tree fall in to their primary bath and side door (literally blowing it and the frame off, with the trunk resting inside their entryway whilst sheet rain was blowing in vis 90 mph gusts). They’ve spent nearly $100,000 for their repairs.

And those storms were, relative the likes of Helene and Milton, very minor, with comparably minor impacts. Nothing really like the devastation from Helene or, regrettably, likely Milton.

All we can do is plan and mitigate our own risk as best we can, and support others in doing the same, before eventually collectively dealing with what climate change brings.

I think more and more people are slowly coming to that realisation, as well. Even people that have been very skeptical of climate change generally—unfortunately, many from experience.

Yeah. I’ll take the cold, as well.

That said, part of the reason we decided to buy property away from the coast in Maine was because it is rated as one of the most climate change resilient states in the US, and in the developed world more generally.

But I think Helene’s impact on Asheville illustrates there really is no such thing because the change actually leads to many unpredictable impacts.

Maine is warming faster than most other states and is projected to get wetter over the next few decades. But maybe it won’t get wetter. Perhaps, contrary to forecasts, it will get drier in addition to hotter. Or maybe we’ll start regularly getting super nor’easters.

Just last fall / winter we had two strong storms that came through which knocked out power for half the state for days and lead to widespread damage from down trees, poles, land slides, and flooding, including to my and our neighbours’ home. It took months to even get contractors out to assess the damage and give us quotes for repair/rebuild because they were completely overwhelmed with the number of projects. And it set us back $25,000 (as it was not classified part of a major disaster by the government but was classified as an act of god by insurance). It was worse for our neighbours who had half a tree fall in to their primary bath and side door (literally blowing it and the frame off, with the trunk resting inside their entryway whilst sheet rain was blowing in vis 90 mph gusts). They’ve spent nearly $100,000 for their repairs.

And those storms were, relative the likes of Helene and Milton, very minor, with comparably minor impacts. Nothing really like the devastation from Helene or, regrettably, likely Milton.

All we can do is plan and mitigate our own risk as best we can, and support others in doing the same, before eventually collectively dealing with what climate change brings.

I think more and more people are slowly coming to that realisation, as well. Even people that have been very skeptical of climate change generally—unfortunately, many from experience.
Do you have a generator set up at your house. A few years back, I added a secondary panel on my house, isolated six zones and put them on a secondary panel that I can access anytime

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.