Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Basically CAS got involved because the gymnastics judges didn't follow their own rules. The rules state that an appeal has to be within a minute. The USA appeal was after 1 minute and 4 seconds, but they changed the result anyway. It's stupid really, because by breaking the rules, they got to the correct decision, but ultimately, you can't choose when a rule applies and when it doesn't.

In the shooting, there is no VAR, she put her hands up to appeal the judge's decision and her appeal was (incorrectly) rejected. The rules might be stupid, but if they followed them to the letter, there's nothing to appeal. It's also worth mentioning that the woman who won also had a probable hit not counted earlier in the contest, so it's the same for everyone. But you'd think for something as important as the Olympics, they'd be able to sort out a video replay system.

On the gymnastics medal decision, the Romanians have issued a statement that they and also the US had both proposed (and worked together) that all involved should get bronze medals - Romania have made it clear that they did not want Chiles to lose her medal.

It's the first Olympics I have followed in decades and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched the swimming and athletics religiously (missed a few sessions on the first days but saw most) and saw bits and bobs of other great sports I generally don't watch.

I am going to try to follow track and field and swimming from now on (world champs for both next year), and other sports too.

Cant wait , i enjoy it more than the olympics , i know more of them usually although a lot retired after the last games , being disabled myself i am in awe of what they can do and the last leg will be back as well , result!
I'm a bit disappointed they didn't bring climbing in for this one after the success of it in the Olympics. Maybe they don't have enough athletes of the required level, but I've watched it a bit at the IFSC competitions, and it's really good. The blind climbing is fun. Most teams have a little radio and headset so the coach can guide the athlete. The Japanese team just shout.

Honestly though, I mainly enjoy watching The Last Leg during the Paralympics.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.