Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

I've no doubt the games will be good, they'll be highly visible as well, so a good time to really out some investment into Team GB.

I just can't see the venues being as spectacular, we'll see. They tend to only bother with their big sports, I watch the Athletics diamond league quite often and the races in America always seem the worst attended and worst atmosphere, like they're only bothered about the American runners and not the rest of the world.
Can’t wait for the shooting events, will they just have them enter a school or shoot into the crowd randomly from a roof top at a lectern ;)

Los Angeles public transport is absolutely gash, you're fucked if you don't have a car. Will be shite for people who want to see a few events in a day

LA has all the existing infrastructure to host the games. Several probably need adapting and modernising but it's largely ready to go. Paris, like London, did a great job of turning historic sites into venues for the Olympics and didn't need to do a new stadium the way we did either. But whilst there has been a huge amount of credit for the games, I stand by the fact that swimming in the Seine was ridiculous and the sailing events were a disaster. Not too much have been made of either, but when you're looking to host a number of sporting events you would imagine picking a place with wind or an outdoor swimming venue that isn't polluted to fuck should be quite high on the agenda.

LA will do exactly what it already has, roll out the stars and sell things that way.

Yeah I've just been having a look at the LA bid and it very much looks like, as the only game in town, it was more about LA negotiating the conditions under which it was prepared to host rather than bidding per se. Whole theme seems to simply be financial prudence so that no one takes a bath. So as you say looks like they'll keep it simple and the A-Listers will provide the window dressing.

Can't disagree about the Seine, they just about got away with that decision, but the sailing was indeed a bit of a mess.

LA has all the existing infrastructure to host the games. Several probably need adapting and modernising but it's largely ready to go. Paris, like London, did a great job of turning historic sites into venues for the Olympics and didn't need to do a new stadium the way we did either. But whilst there has been a huge amount of credit for the games, I stand by the fact that swimming in the Seine was ridiculous and the sailing events were a disaster. Not too much have been made of either, but when you're looking to host a number of sporting events you would imagine picking a place with wind or an outdoor swimming venue that isn't polluted to fuck should be quite high on the agenda.

LA will do exactly what it already has, roll out the stars and sell things that way.
Daniel Wiffen was supposed to be a flag bearer for Ireland at the closing ceremony but had to forego the honour as he was being treated in hospital after competing in the open water swimming event. Not confirmed it's related to the water quality but it's a helluva coincidence. This is how he responded on twitter:

“Yesterday I rushed to hospital as I was very unwell with a bug that I am being treated for, and am feeling better now. I hope everyone enjoys the evening and I hope to be well enough to [see] everyone when we get home."

Have to admit I'm feeling a bit lost today. Been working from home on and off for the past couple of weeks. I'm missing turning on the TV at lunchtime and seeing some live sport!
Same. Looking back it was a phenomenal Olympics and I already miss it. I've never felt like that after a World cup. LA while not chic as Paris or London will do a great job I'm sure. Music and the film industry will likely be a big theme at the opening ceremony. Snoop And Dr. Dre were really entertaining at the after party down on Long beach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.