Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Team GB Schedule
29th July

Lots of chances for medals in Cycling, Gymnastics, Diving, Equestrian today, hopefully one of those can be gold. Canoe and Judo I don't know much about to comment. Swimming is looking like a long shot in all of the finals.

07:30 – Badminton – Women’s Singles – Groups – Kirsty Gilmour (GBR) v Keisha Azzahra (AZE)
08:30 – Shooting – Trap Men’s Qualification – Hales (GBR), Howard-Colley (GBR)
08:53 – Archery – Men’s Team – Last 16 – Chinese Taipei v Great Britain
Morning (11th on mat 1) – Judo – Women’s 57kg – Round of 32 – Eteri Liparteliani (GEO) v Lele Nairne (GBR)
09:30 – Rowing – Women’s Pair – Repechage – Great Britain
10:00 – Diving – Men’s Synchronised 10m Platform – FINAL – Thomas Daley & Noah Williams (GBR)
10:00 – Equestrian – Eventing Team Jumping (& Individual qualifiers) - FINAL – Great Britain
10:00 – Swimming – Women’s 400m Individual Medley – Heats – Freya Colbert (GBR), Katie Shanahan (GBR)
10:13 – Swimming – Women’s 100m Backstroke – Heats – Kathleen Dawson (GBR), Medi Harris (GBR)
10:40 – Rowing – Men’s Eight – Heats – Great Britain
11:00 – Rowing – Women’s Eight – Heats – Great Britain
11:03 – Sailing – Women’s Windsurfing – Race 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 – Emma Wilson (GBR)
11:05 – Sailing – Men’s Skiff – Race 4, 5 & 6 – James Peters & Fynn Sterritt (GBR)
11:15 – Sailing – Women’s Skiff – Race 4, 5 & 6 – Freya Black & Saskia Tidey (GBR)
11:23 – Sailing – Men’s Windsurfing - Race 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 – Sam Silla (GBR)
12:00 – Table Tennis – Men’s Singles – Round of 64 – Vicky Wu (FIJ) v Liam Pitchford (GBR)
Afternoon (21st-24th on mat 1) – Judo – Women’s 52kg – Quarterfinal – If Lele Nairne qualifies.
13:00 estimate (2nd on court) – Tennis - Men’s Doubles – 1st Round – Salisbury/Skupsi (GBR) v Machac/Pavlasek (CZE)
13:00 – Rugby Sevens – Women’s – Groups – Great Britain v South Africa
13:10 – Cycling Mountain Bike – Men’s Cross-Country – FINAL – Tom Pidcock (GBR), Charlie Aldridge (GBR)
13:15 – 14:24 – Archery – Men’s Team – Quarter-finals – If they beat Chinese Taipei in the morning.
14:00 – Equestrian – Eventing Individual Jumping – FINAL – If any GB athlete qualifies, they should qualify and contest the medals.
14:30 – Canoe Slalom – Men’s Canoe Single Semi-Final – Adam Burgess (GBR)
14:47 – 15:10 – Archery – Men’s Team – Semi-Finals – If they qualify.
15:00 estimate (3rd on court) – Tennis - Men’s Singles – 2nd round - Dan Evans (GBR) v Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE)
15:00 estimate – Judo – Women’s 57kg – Semifinal – If Lele Nairne (GBR) wins her first 2 bouts.
15:48 – Archery – Men’s Team – Bronze Medal Match – If GB get this far, unlikely.
16:00 – Hockey – Women’s – Groups – Great Britain v Australia
16:11 – Archery – Men’s Team – FINAL - If GB get this far, unlikely.
16:20 – Canoe Slalom – Men’s Canoe Single – FINAL – If Adam Burges (GBR) qualifies.
16:30 – Artistic Gymnastics – Men’s Team – FINAL – Great Britain
Evening – Judo – Women’s 57kg – FINAL – If Lele Nairne (GBR) wins her prior bouts.
19:20 estimate – Badminton – Men’s Doubles – Groups – Lane/Vendy (GBR) v Dong/Yakura (CAN)
19:30 – Swimming – Women’s 400m Individual Medley – FINAL – If Freya Colbert (GBR) and/or Katie Shanahan (GBR) qualify.
19:44 - Swimming - Men's 200m Freestyle - FINAL - Matt Richards and Duncan Scott
19:57 – Swimming – Women’s 100m Backstroke – Semifinals – If Kathleen Dawson (GBR) and/or Medi Harris (GBR) qualify.
Late Evning – Rugby Sevens – Women’s – Quarter-finals – If Great Britain qualify.
20:19 – Swimming – Men’s 100m Backstroke – FINAL – Oliver Morgan (GBR)
20:20 – Boxing – Men’s 92kg+ - Round of 16 – Davit Cahloyan (ARM) v Delicious Orie (GBR) – Almost wouldn’t bother given how bad the judging has been.
20:25 – Swimming – Womens’ 100m Breaststroke – FINAL – Angharad Evans (GBR)

What else is on:
Olympic Schedule & Results - 29 July | Paris 2024 Olympics

Also around 13:00 (estimate, they’re 2nd on court) it’s Djokovic v Nadal in the 2nd round, brutal draw but should be a good match.

Thrilled for the Italian but gutted for Peaty. Top level sport in a nutshell, finest of margins.

Tough for Peaty indeed, but I'm very happy for US swimmer Nic Fink, who shared the Silver with Peaty with the same time, getting his first medal ever.

At 31, this was Fink's last Olympics too, and not a bad result for a full time engineer expecting his first child this year.

In his first two trips to the US trials, Fink failed to make the Olympic team. In 2021, he finally broke through only to finish fifth in the 200 breaststroke at the pandemic-delayed Tokyo Games.

Now, finally, he has a long-sought piece of hardware.

Clare Balding after the peaty swim no gold turns into junior school teaching assistant.....
Yeah, I didn't know it was her, but it's not the first time I've seen interviewers come across as pretty patronizing when talking to an athlete who didn't win. The interview with Josh Tarling was a bit like that too.

I can’t get an enthusiasm for this overblown politically driven bore fest. I will watch the main athletics finals but little else.

Yeah, I didn't know it was her, but it's not the first time I've seen interviewers come across as pretty patronizing when talking to an athlete who didn't win. The interview with Josh Tarling was a bit like that too.
Totally agree. The Tarling interview was particularly poor though..

I tend to watch most of the swimming events, world championships included. Really feel for Peaty, but it was a wide open race and Martinenghi is a world champion over that distance, it wasn't really a shock considering the lack of competitive racing and past few years Peaty has had. He's not the guy that swims 2 seconds faster than everyone else now.

He'll be disappointed, it was a slow time and he didn't execute parts of his race well. His start was sluggish and I also think we saw Qin as the main threat and chased him too hard. Qin then blew up and Peaty followed suit with 15m to go. Had he paced it a little more he probably wins it. The glide to the finish didn't help either, but he wasn't in a position to take an extra stroke either.

Fine margins, and he should be proud of silver from where he came. I worry about our chances in the relays now too. It was usually Peaty blowing everyone else aside that got us in the position to win gold in the relays. I wouldn't write him off doing something special though.

Bob Ballard sacked by Eurosport
As the 4x100m freestyle relay team were making their way off the pool deck in Paris, Bob Ballard said they were "finishing up", adding "you know what women are like... hanging around, doing their make up".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.