Paris Saint-Germain (H) - CL SF | Post-Match Thread

The whole back 4 were unbelievable last night. Ruben Dias man what a player but special shout out to Zinchenko great performance, sticking up for his team mates, celebrating blocks like goals and getting emotional at the end he loves it!
phil Foden we have genuinely got potential for the future best player in world, from down the road, from the academy and a city fan it doesn’t get any better than that.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when you spend money wisely and build a team and not a collection of 'Galacticos'. Honestly, couldn't be more proud of the lads - that was a battling performance where they left nothing out there. The best moment for me was in the second half when the defence chased down a PSG attack forcing it into a corner and they were hugging and shouting like they'd just scored the winning goal.

How immense is Dias? Takes a ball full in the face to prevent a shot on goal then just gets up with a look that says 'Yeah, so what?'.

I'm not ashamed to say that I had a lump in my throat when the full time whistle went.

To a man we were brilliant, but immediately after the whistle was blown, I said Zinchenko was my MoTM. What an attitude! What a player he's becoming!

He came to us as a very promising youngster, but ultimately didn't quite hit the grade we were looking for. It was odds on from the beginning we'd sell or loan him out, but I recall an interview he gave saying he had self belief, a willingness to learn & improve, & the patience to wait for an opportunity to prove himself. He also said City was the only club he wanted to be at, & how determined he was to remain here.

I recall when he first played in place of an injured Mendy. He was OK, but City still needed a quality LB as back up for Mendy, not a makeshift young midfielder. He was a reasonable option in the main, but also a bit hit & miss with his performances & not the long term answer for our problem LB position. He'd be having a brilliant match, but a couple of serious lapses later he'd have our defence on the ropes. His lack of pace is also a major concern too.

However, the kid has stuck it out. He turned down an £18m move to Wolves, with a better chance of regular first team football for himself. He did this to follow through on his pledge to improve himself as a player, & to prove himself good enough to nail down a permanent squad position on merit.

He arrived here as an attacking, creative midfielder, but was seen more of a general CM baller. This issue for Zincheko's career is that City had many more better players than him in his preferred CM position. However, when the opportunity arose to take advantage & become our preferred ball playing LB, he's grabbed it with both hands.

I suppose a question mark will always remain that City need two dedicated, world class LB's to reflect our options on the right, not a converted midfielder, & an often injured LB who hasn't lived up to expectations. But Zinchenko keeps answering that question by slowly & steadily improving into a genuine LB option for us.

Perhaps that question mark can be the best thing all round for Zinchenko & City! It will keep him on his toes, always with something to prove & a position to protect. If I could bottle & sell a football players attitude, it would be Zinchenko's. He's an inspiration to all young aspiring footballers the world over. Never give up on your dreams, & have the fortitude & belief to keep fighting to achieve them.

He's hopefully got another 90+ minutes in him to make Manchester City history. Here's hoping Zinchenko can be a major part of that history..... :-)
Lovely write up

no one will ever replace zab as my all time fave cult hero, but this lad has shown something so few footballers seem to and at such a young age.

I’m so so so happy for him

Just seen that poch believes they dominated us over the 2 legs ! And deserved to be in the final

Is he on crack. I think he has bigger problems at psg because the players lost their heads completely and went out (in my book) to injure our players late into the 2nd half - and poch couldn't control them
PSG had the first half in Paris, we totally dominated the second. Last night the onus was on PSG to score, not City, so it was incumbent on them to attack us & effect the game.

That's why PSG threw everything at us, but we just kept picking them off as they huffed & puffed. In the end, they lost their heads as time was running out, & they realised needing 3 goals to win was becoming mission impossible.

However, the kid has stuck it out. He turned down an £18m move to Wolves, with a better chance of regular first team football for himself. He did this to follow through on his pledge to improve himself as a player, & to prove himself good enough to nail down a permanent squad position on merit.

I think this is a very important milestone to remember and perhaps the reason he was down on his knees at full time; he was ostensibly sold to Wolves in summer 2018 after spending 1 loan season at PSV and one season playing a back-up bit part role in the centurions season (a good little cameo, dont get me wrong).

He said no, he had something to prove, and season by season he's shown it and climbed above challenges by more illustrious signings, or more 'capable' players being repositioned to play at LB. But time and again, his resilience, mental ability and, overwhelmingly, his discipline to his position, have seen him become first choice in the European Cup semi final and, i hope, the final.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.