Parliametary motion tabled by Withington MP - 3pm cup finals

Mad Eyed Screamer

Obviously won't have any effect on this years game, but good luck all the same.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/parliamentary-motion-submitted-change-fa-2996852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... fa-2996852</a>

Parliamentary motion submitted to change FA Cup Final to 3pm

The motion was submitted by South Manchester MP John Leech, who wants to minimise the problems Manchester City and Wigan fans will have trying to get home on Saturday

South Manchester MP John Leech has submitted a Parliamentary motion calling for the FA Cup Final to be held at 3pm on Saturday, and be the only major football game on that day.

City will take on Wigan at Wembley in the showpiece fixture.

But the game will kick-off at 5.15pm - meaning thousands will be unable to take the train home.

The Football Association have come under fire for the timing of the clash.

Their decision is thought to have been led by broadcasters in a bid to attract larger viewing figures.

Wigan's semi-final with Millwall kicked off at the same time and was marred by infighting among fans of the London club, many of whom had been drinking all day.

Mr Leech, a City fan, said: “In the past, The FA Cup final was held at 3pm on Saturday. It was the end of the season, and no other major games were played that day. I think that is a tradition that should preserved.”

He added: “We could maximise the number of viewers if the FA Cup final didn’t clash with other games, and avoid all the problems that City and Wigan fans will have if they are trying to get on the last train back to the north at 9pm on Saturday.”

PS when did the Withington constituency become South Manchester?

I am almost sure that the FA have said already that after this season this will be the case once more.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
paulchapo said:
I am almost sure that the FA have said already that after this season this will be the case once more.

what? that it will revert back to 3pm or will continue early evening?

It will go back to 3pm the last game of the season.

paulchapo said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
paulchapo said:

what? that it will revert back to 3pm or will continue early evening?

It will go back to 3pm the last game of the season.

it wont, the tv company gets a million more viewers for a 5pm kick off so it will stay at that time because the FA are skint. good on the MP.

Agree that it should be 3pm but I do wish that politicians would keep out of something that is clearly an issue between fans, the clubs, the sponsors and the FA. It just stinks of political opportunism timed to coincide with local elections. I am sure there are far more pressing issues affecting more constituents in Withington than the time a bloody football match kicks off!!!

withington is due south of Piccadilly so that rules out north, east and west ...................
The fans need someone with a voice to counter the greed of the TV/FA bandits, a motion however well intentioned will be cast aside by the m.p.'s in the pocket of the lobbyists. That's democracy. NOT.

Matty said:
paulchapo said:
I hadn't heard that, all I've heard is the FA defend their 5:15 kickoff choice with spurious and annoying quotes.

I simply do not believe that a 5:15pm kickoff will generate a higher TV audience than a 3:00pm start. It will be less favourable for the middle east and the far east which is where most of the growth in audience is coming from.

It could never be at 3:00pm unless it was the last match of the season as it could not be televised live. It is up to the PL and the FA to sort things out.

If the FA and FIFA/UEFA could drop one of their meaningless international breaks there would be no problem finishing the season in time.

remember FA cup day was an event on tv in days past,i cant believe a 5pm kick off is better than 3pm, its all down to money, simple as that, fa are greedy bunch of cunts. its all down to advertising, you get a bigger audience at 5pm than at 3pm. basically sponser says i give u "x" amount, but to get biggerst audience they move kick off. simples

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.