Parliametary motion tabled by Withington MP - 3pm cup finals

Pingu the Penguin said:
As said above, this is really about transport and train times - instead of writing to MPs and the FA we should be writing to virgin
It's got nothing to do with Virgin. They explained the situation to the FA and were ignored because 'a tiny percentage of fans travel by train'.

I really don't get the fuss about the time of the kick off being two and a bit hours later than usual. It's sets the day up better in my opinion as i found the game against United for the semi (17:30 ko) was a much more smoothly ran day compared to the final against Stoke (15:00 ko). Didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn, more relaxed traffic on the motorway, we didn't seem to be in a mad rush, had more drinking time and enough time for a decent breakfast and dinner. Then was home for a reasonable enough time; not like it was middle of the night.

I would like the FA Cup final to go back to being the final domestic game of the season, but the kick off time being tea time suits me down to the ground.

JGL07 said:
The point is that it cannot be held at 3:00pm during the normal season as it would not be able to be televised live.

Huh?

We kicked off at 3pm in 2011, on the same day as Premier League games, and it was televised.

quiet_riot said:
JGL07 said:
The point is that it cannot be held at 3:00pm during the normal season as it would not be able to be televised live.

Huh?

We kicked off at 3pm in 2011, on the same day as Premier League games, and it was televised.

He's getting mixed up with the UEFA rule that all FA's can pick a two hour window each week where no games are allowed to be shown at the SAME time as league games.

England choose 3-5 on a Saturday, which is why televised games kick off at 1245 or 5.15.

This has got nothing to do with the time of the cup final. Even the FA admit it is purely for commercial reasons.

Blue and Proud said:
Agree that it should be 3pm but I do wish that politicians would keep out of something that is clearly an issue between fans, the clubs, the sponsors and the FA. It just stinks of political opportunism timed to coincide with local elections. I am sure there are far more pressing issues affecting more constituents in Withington than the time a bloody football match kicks off!!!

He's a blue and he's speaking up for us. As our local MP he has been very good at fighting for a lot of issues in my part of the world. Regardless of party politics, he has a common sense approach and tries to look after his ward. If it gets a bit of "good press" in the meantime so be it, they are in the business of keeping their jobs just like we all are.

In fairness to John Leech (who is my MP), he is a lifelong City fans who was brought up in Manchester.

Caveman said:
I really don't get the fuss about the time of the kick off being two and a bit hours later than usual. It's sets the day up better in my opinion as i found the game against United for the semi (17:30 ko) was a much more smoothly ran day compared to the final against Stoke (15:00 ko). Didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn, more relaxed traffic on the motorway, we didn't seem to be in a mad rush, had more drinking time and enough time for a decent breakfast and dinner. Then was home for a reasonable enough time; not like it was middle of the night.

I would like the FA Cup final to go back to being the final domestic game of the season, but the kick off time being tea time suits me down to the ground.

Well isn't that nice for you Caveman, you have definitely got the right user name there! It is not alright for people who have to travel by train, it is not alright for people who need to get home on Saturday night for whatever reason and it is not alright for the FA to just ignore the fans or the transport services. The whole thing is a farce because the FA Cup Final has been a 3.00 kick off for the majority of its existence and they are now catering for American TV, no matter what they say about the domestic TV, it is really being geared for America, the 'global' audience.

But hey, you're all right Jack so it must be ok.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.