Past Managers you would have liked to see at City

Don Revie was a name that was bandied around when I started watching City. When Les McDowall left was probably too late to get Revie. At the time City had been in decline for some years and relegated while Leeds were on the way up.

However a couple of years earlier, had City dumped Les, he may have been an option. He played for City more than any other club and won his only playing honours with City.

While Revie won trophies with Leeds, his playing style was not the best. He was far too dour and encouraged thuggish play. Having said that, most of his team - in particular Eddie Gray, Peter Lorimer, and Allan Clarke - could play if they chose to. On balance, I think we dodged one there.

Brian Clough could well have fitted in and did departure from Derby occurred at much the same time as Allison leaving for Palace. Clough would certainly have come to City in preference to Brighton.

The question would have been how the relationship with Swales would have worked out. Swales only became chairman in 1973 and I can see Clough wiping the floor with the Cuban-heeled one especially if he was delivering on the field.

Ferguson was not really a viable option to survive at City. He took four to five years to start winning things. He would never have lasted that long with Swales who by then was well established at City. Ferguson would not have survived at United for that amount with subsequent chairmen.
Great post..I have no idea why Clough at City was not on the cards..watched The Damned United again as it is now on iplayer..Sheen was totally brilliant in it as was Stephen Graham as Bremner...the man was a genius and would have loved him at City at that time..he sadly had a big "gob" and most boards in that era were not welcome of that.Outside of Mercer and Pep, totally the one guy we should have had on board.

Look, I have no gripe with you and I don't know much about Graham Taylor 'the man' but you don't get from the 4th Division to runners-up in Division 1 in the space of a few years without knowing a thing or 2 about player succession
Does anyone else remember David Lloyd Bowen? He took Northampton Town from Division Four to Division One between 1960-61 and 1964-65. Unfortunately they went straight down and ended up back in Division Four a year quicker than they took to get up! Bowen left the club on their descent but rejoined shortly afterwards.

They passed City on the way up but avoided them on the way down with City being promoted to Division One and Northampton went down to Division Two the same season as Northampton’s relegation spree started.

I never got to go to their former home at the Northamptonshire County Cricket ground in the season that we were in the same Division. It was three-sided rather like Bramhall Lane at the time.

Funny how all the truly great mansgers from these Islands are Scottish.. I would put Clough in there, but he drank like fuck and was a right cheeky bastard, so he was practicalky Scottish too. Carry on.

Matt Busby. I heard a rumour he wanted to come to City after he fell out at United (after his manager roles) but Swales blocked it.

Great post..I have no idea why Clough at City was not on the cards..watched The Damned United again as it is now on iplayer..Sheen was totally brilliant in it as was Stephen Graham as Bremner...the man was a genius and would have loved him at City at that time..he sadly had a big "gob" and most boards in that era were not welcome of that.Outside of Mercer and Pep, totally the one guy we should have had on board.
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened but there was no way Cloughie would have got the City job with Swales in charge.
Swales ego couldn't have handled a personality like that taking the limelight away from him and Cloughie wouldn't have put up with him either IMO.

Another one here for Howard Kendall. I was barely a teenager when he left but even I remember how gutting and important that was. Our 90’s story would have been completely different had he stayed and brought through our very good youth players.
He looked like he was really starting to build something ,took us from relegation certs to top 6 in a few months.
When he was appointed Swales told everyone that he would be allowed to take the England job if it came up, what he omitted to mention was that the same clause would allow him to take up other job offers too.
Kendall described City as a "Love affair" and that Everton were his "Wife" when they came in for him and he walked out to go back there.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened but there was no way Cloughie would have got the City job with Swales in charge.
Swales ego couldn't have handled a personality like that taking the limelight away from him and Cloughie wouldn't have put up with him either IMO.
Yes but if City had gone for Brian Clough after he left Derby, Swales was not chairman by then. Malcolm Allison had just jumped ship to go to Palace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.