Patrick Roberts - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not keep Roberts instead. He is younger than Mahrez. If Pep is such a great coach he should be able to get Roberts up to Mahrez's level considering Roberts has great ability.

Perhaps. We could have kept him last season, but the Sanchez saga and Roberts’ desire to head north again scuppered that. We have the income where we presumably don’t need to use him as a makeweight in any deal. However, Roberts needs game time at this stage, especially after an idle year, and while I can see Mahrez or Hazard making 30+ starts, I cannot see Roberts managing that with us, yet. Better to get him to Leicester (or similar) where he can get those games,but with a clause built into the deal whereby we get first refusal.

Perhaps. We could have kept him last season, but the Sanchez saga and Roberts’ desire to head north again scuppered that. We have the income where we presumably don’t need to use him as a makeweight in any deal. However, Roberts needs game time at this stage, especially after an idle year, and while I can see Mahrez or Hazard making 30+ starts, I cannot see Roberts managing that with us, yet. Better to get him to Leicester (or similar) where he can get those games,but with a clause built into the deal whereby we get first refusal.
Pep wanted him to go out on loan again that's why he went north.

Roberts has amazing dribbling ability and could be coached up to Mahrez's level with the potential and current ability he has. He is good enough to be given an opportunity especially if Mahrez is wanted when they are similar types of player.

He was class when Celtic played us in the champions league. Shit season for him through injury. Wouldn’t be against him staying or going.

Would’ve been much happier if he had gone to a harder league though.

Pep wanted him to go out on loan again that's why he went north.

Roberts has amazing dribbling ability and could be coached up to Mahrez's level with the potential and current ability he has. He is good enough to be given an opportunity especially if Mahrez is wanted when they are similar types of player.

I think the club wanted him to go on loan elsewhere, but Roberts chose to return to Celtic. I agree that Roberts has ability and potential, but he needs to be tested at a much higher level than Celtic (in terms of opposition faced each week).

If he wants to fight it out for a place at the club, fine, then I'd suggest he head straight back to the club this summer and work on his physical fitness, go on the US tour, and do everything and more that is asked of him by the coaching staff. If that is unappealing, however, then go to Leicester City or West Ham United on loan and start 30+ games next year.

Why not keep Roberts instead. He is younger than Mahrez. If Pep is such a great coach he should be able to get Roberts up to Mahrez's level considering Roberts has great ability.
This is the funniest thing I've ever read.

This is the funniest thing I've ever read.
Isn't the job of a coach to improve players? Pep is supposed to be a great coach and players like Sancho are supposed to be idiots for leaving instead of getting great coaching to improve.

Therefore with a player as talented as Roberts I would expect Pep to get him to a high level. Is this unreasonable?

Isn't the job of a coach to improve players? Pep is supposed to be a great coach and players like Sancho are supposed to be idiots for leaving instead of getting great coaching to improve.

Therefore with a player as talented as Roberts I would expect Pep to get him to a high level. Is this unreasonable?
'supposed to be a great coach'?? Wtf are you talking about?

Apologies if you have just awoken from a coma.

'supposed to be a great coach'?? Wtf are you talking about?

Apologies if you have just awoken from a coma.
It means anybody can pay 50 million for a ready made player. Great coaches make lesser players great.

Obviously Pep is a great coach at coaching the elite. So in my opinion he should be able to take a player with Roberts' potential and current talent and improve him instead of just going out and buying Mahrez.

It means anybody can pay 50 million for a ready made player. Great coaches make lesser players great.

Obviously Pep is a great coach at coaching the elite. So in my opinion he should be able to take a player with Roberts' potential and current talent and improve him instead of just going out and buying Mahrez.

Roberts shot himself in the foot last year. Going to Celtic showed he lacked the confidence in himself and showed that he was happy to take the easy option, he'll have to have done some serious growing up for Pep to even take a look at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.