Patrick Roberts - signing confirmed 19/07

Status
Not open for further replies.
What have Fulham fans said about him? I don't mean money grabber, loyalty etc, I mean about his footballing ability.

Kit Symons (remember him?) is Fulham manager and confirmed after their friendly tonight that Roberts has handed in a transfer request. London Evening Standard suggest a deal which could rise to 11m.

The thing with Roberts is, from the admittedly very limited times i've seen him play, He appears to be at a stage where he needs to develop his game by playing regularly which is something that's just not going to happen at City. The key with this signing is lining up a perfectly suited club to loan him to where he'll get regular games at a high enough level and preferably in a team that plays in a similar style to us. He seems technically ready for a big team, but he badly needs to improve physically. I don't necessarily mean he needs to do a Micah and bulk up, he can be tiny and still make it but he needs to learn to protect the ball better and not be bullied off the ball, and there's nobody better than that in world football than David Silva.

I like the way we're focusing on technically brilliant young players, rather than the Chelsea model of big, fast and strong youngsters with a average to good technique (probably a tiny bit biased).
All the better for selling on. "Look what our young players won. They must be the best prospects."

But yeah, I agree. It's easy for big players to look good at youth level. But then they find themselves marking a 30 year old brick shithouse and suddenly can't bully him off the ball as easily, and then you notice that they're not anything special. It's been a flaw in English youth coaching for decades. Not saying that Chelsea are necessarily doing that, of course. Just that you can't necessarily read too much into youth level results.

The thing with Roberts is, from the admittedly very limited times i've seen him play, He appears to be at a stage where he needs to develop his game by playing regularly which is something that's just not going to happen at City. The key with this signing is lining up a perfectly suited club to loan him to where he'll get regular games at a high enough level and preferably in a team that plays in a similar style to us. He seems technically ready for a big team, but he badly needs to improve physically. I don't necessarily mean he needs to do a Micah and bulk up, he can be tiny and still make it but he needs to learn to protect the ball better and not be bullied off the ball, and there's nobody better than that in world football than David Silva.
Boavista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.