paul lake & gio kinkladze

Bluesince1979

been watchin city since approx 79 - 80 and these 2 were the cream for me.

2 questions.

1.how good could lakey have been?

my opinion is that he would have soon gone to liverpool or the likes and had a long and successful club and international career. one of the best. a 90 capper!!

2. how good would kinkladze have been in a half decent team?

he played in a dreadful city side. i personally think, as above, in a decent team he could have been fantastic. i know he did fuck all at ajax but in a good city team ( where his heart was) he could have been awesome.
or...... was he just the best of a bad bunch.

1, It's hard to say with Lake how good he could have been, because at City the nature of the club back then he played all over the park(few people remember, but he was playing CF when injured at Boro). I watched almost every game, he played for City, home and away but if you stuck a gun to my head, I would say he was a 20-30 cap man for England.

2, Kinkladze I think was a bit like Cantona, in that to be successful at club level the clubs that he played for had to alter what they did to fit him in and unlike Cantona he wasn't lucky enough to find a club that where good enough and desperate enough to showcase his talents.

marcus said:
been watchin city since approx 79 - 80 and these 2 were the cream for me.

2 questions.

1.how good could lakey have been?

my opinion is that he would have soon gone to liverpool or the likes and had a long and successful club and international career. one of the best. a 90 capper!!

2. how good would kinkladze have been in a half decent team?

he played in a dreadful city side. i personally think, as above, in a decent team he could have been fantastic. i know he did fuck all at ajax but in a good city team ( where his heart was) he could have been awesome.
or...... was he just the best of a bad bunch.
gio was top drawer mate. one of the best i have ever watched! lakey would have been world class, great shame what happened to him. nice guy aswell, i,ve had the pleasure of going out for a pint with him!

Two of my all times favourites.

Lake ouzed class, is that how you spell ouzed? Definate England captain material.

Kikladze, never seem a player with as much natural skill. Genius and as you said in a woeful City team. A real waste of a talent ending up at Derby County.

DontLookBackInAnger said:
1, It's hard to say with Lake how good he could have been, because at City the nature of the club back then he played all over the park(few people remember, but he was playing CF when injured at Boro). I watched almost every game, he played for City, home and away but if you stuck a gun to my head, I would say he was a 20-30 cap man for England.

2, Kinkladze I think was a bit like Cantona, in that to be successful at club level the clubs that he played for had to alter what they did to fit him in and unlike Cantona he wasn't lucky enough to find a club that where good enough and desperate enough to showcase his talents.

Watched most of his games home/away as well but I am pretty certain he got the bad injury at home v Villa (night match)

spacecadet said:

Watched most of his games home/away as well but I am pretty certain he got the bad injury at home v Villa (night match)

Your right, I'm talking about the comeback injury that was away to Boro 2nd game of the season under Reid a couple of years late.

spacecadet said:

Your right, I'm talking about the comeback injury that was away to Boro 2nd game of the season under Reid a couple of years late.

I lived that injury with Lakey. I mean I was desperate for him to get fit again, clearly it was a very long and painful road for him. I think he must have known it wasn't ever going to be the same again. I understand he's quite bitter about trying to get it fixed on the cheap.

Wasn't he injured in a home game against Villa whilst playing midfield? I remember him going up for a header with nobody challenging and just crumpling has he came down.

He was playing at centre half against Villa when he originally did his knee - Kendall had converted him there at the start of that season and made him captain.

foreverblue said:

Wasn't he injured in a home game against Villa whilst playing midfield? I remember him going up for a header with nobody challenging and just crumpling has he came down.

Yes he was injured at home to Villa 2nd or 3rd game of the 1990/91 season I'm talking about his return from that he played 2 1992/93 I might be wrong but the 1st game was at Home to QPR(he played something like 65mins) and the 2nd the one I'm talking about was away to Boro(he was strechered off after 5mins, Quinn was sent off 2mins later).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.