paul lake & gio kinkladze

DontLookBackInAnger said:
foreverblue said:
Wasn't he injured in a home game against Villa whilst playing midfield? I remember him going up for a header with nobody challenging and just crumpling has he came down.

Yes he was injured at home to Villa 2nd or 3rd game of the 1990/91 season I'm talking about his return from that he played 2 1992/93 I might be wrong but the 1st game was at Home to QPR(he played something like 65mins) and the 2nd the one I'm talking about was away to Boro(he was strechered off after 5mins, Quinn was sent off 2mins later).

Fair enough I thought you where talking about the initial injury. Pity has he would have been a great foil for Gazza in Englands midfield (and I am Scottish).

manchester blue said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Your right, I'm talking about the comeback injury that was away to Boro 2nd game of the season under Reid a couple of years late.

I lived that injury with Lakey. I mean I was desperate for him to get fit again, clearly it was a very long and painful road for him. I think he must have known it wasn't ever going to be the same again. I understand he's quite bitter about trying to get it fixed on the cheap.

Didn't he train as a physio afterwards?

I don't think he had surgery 'on the cheap', but maybe he didn't see the best people at the time, as do players now. His injury was really serious though.

Lakey has to go down as player with massive potential. Bit like MJ has looked at his best.

Geo- brilliant ball player. Fitness let him down

I was very fortunate to see Paul Lake play for city a number of times, he'd been in the original 32 man selection for the England squad prior to the 1990 World Cup but just missed out. I think he would have gone on to win 50 odd caps for his country. A fantastic athlete and such a shame he never had a better career. And yes I too think he would have ended up at Liverpool.

Lakey went over to the States to see the best Doctor around for those injuries (his name escapes me). I think if it was now he would have played again has their have been big improvements in medical care since then.

In the 85-6 FA Youth Cup winning campaign he was always No 9 but I am not sure he played up front with Moulden- anybody know what position he played? Sad really as I went to 3 or 4 of the games and am only 42 and can't remember!!

spacecadet said:
In the 85-6 FA Youth Cup winning campaign he was always No 9 but I am not sure he played up front with Moulden- anybody know what position he played? Sad really as I went to 3 or 4 of the games and am only 42 and can't remember!!

I was at the finals as the only blue with my mates. From what I remember only Gary Walsh and Lee Martin made it for the rags. Walsh had one of those games where he got in the way of almost everything. Didn't he save a Lake pen but not the rebound? I remember it as one of the most one sided games I have ever seen (apart from us v Blackburn for promotion and the last 2 Derbys at home unfortunately).

The following shows lake as CF (but then again Moulden was a mid - what a scoring record apart from the top league!).

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals_of_the_1980s#1985.2F86:_Manchester_City_v._Manchester_United_.281-1_and_2-0.2C_3-1_aggregate.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_C ... gregate.29</a>

Never really saw Paul Lake, i was only 5-6 when he got the injury.

I am convinced 100% and would put everything i own on Kinkladze becoming one of the games modern greats if he had not of played for us.

His talent was far too good for us and anyone who says he was the reason we went down is talking out of their arses.

<a class="postlink" href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud7FLTne6Mg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud7FLTne6Mg</a>

18 seconds in. THAT is why we went down, because we had a genius in Kinkladze who single handedly gave us a chance of keeping us up otherwise we would of been an even worse version of Derby County last year playing with a bunch of amateurs. That part of the video sums up that time in our history.

He was the reason i and many other young blues kept going and kept interest in the club. He was the reason many fans still shelled out money watching the dire shite on the pitch because they knew just seeing Kinkladze drop his shoulder and go on a run was worth it. He was the reason i fell in love with this shitty club.

Best player i have ever seen in the flesh who because of Manchester City and his love for the club stopped him from being talked of in the bracket of modern greats such as Zidane and Ronaldo and anyone who says otherwise and he failed at Ajax well you can fuck off and go and learn a thing or two about football.

Love the guy!!

Lake was like Ian Brightwell but a bit better.

Both could play anywhere, and both showed enormous potential.

Potential is not often achieved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.