paul lake & gio kinkladze

Kinkladze was good but flattered to deceive in a poor side.

Lake was the business and would have been a really top player but I'm not sure what his best position was.. probably central midfield.

For me Paul Lake had a lot more in his locker then Gio Kinkladze.

the way Paul Lake played he could have been been one of our legends. Absolutely cruised through games. Not lack of effort, he just looked so much classier than all the rest. Truth is though, we were a club that at the time would have sold him. As for kinky, a wonderfully talented player surrounded by comparative donkeys(sorry but its true). He had too much to carry, he was not the reason for the relegations, that was the fault of the managers not putting a good enough set of players around him. Sometimes to carry him i admit.

nmc said:
Kinkladze was good but flattered to deceive in a poor side.

Lake was the business and would have been a really top player but I'm not sure what his best position was.. probably central midfield.

For me Paul Lake had a lot more in his locker then Gio Kinkladze.

Spot on.

Lake could have been a real superstar in the Colin Bell, Hoddle or Gazza mode. Kinkladze had some fancy footwork that occasionally came off but he wasn't from the top drawer. Let's face it, if he had been a successful and richer English team would have snapped him up.

Sometimes it takes more than "natural talent" to make a legend. Luck has a huge part tom play, he was like Tommy Hutch., wrong player wrong time.

Paul lake could have played any position on the pitch
Kinky would never have bin a centre half

argument over

Paul lake wins

Too loose two great players like Colin Bell and Paul Lake is so cruel I made the point to Colin when I met him and he pointed out that at least he had played in a great team and for England won countless trophies and although he was cut down in his prime by that twat Buchan he did does have lots of great memories unlike Lake who never realise his great potential What I remember about Lakey is where ever he played he had time and like all great players was never rushed didn’t look quick (he was) but this is a measure of class, ghosted past players and would IMO had been England captain and won many caps and without doubt he would have made such a difference to us that we may never have gone though the bad times

With regard to his treatment then I have heard him talk about it and he is a little bitter about it he is now a qualified physio having worked at Macclesfield he is , I think, now at Bolton, so he speaks with the knowledge that he didn’t get the right treatment the initial diagnosis was a "twisted knee" something he pointed out doesn’t exist as we know he had a cruciate ligament tear and he was sent to run up and down the Kippax has part of his treatment. In those days there was no requirement for accredited physios and City's didn’t have the qualifications that would be necessary now, remember though the same guy saved Paul’s life when he swallowed his tongue He had lots of operations and suffers pain in his knee and always will. City i.e. Swales tried to treat him on the cheap, I recall that when he finally went to Steadman in Colorado his team mates had a whip round so that his girlfriend could go to see him as Swales refused to pay

Better than Gio IMO, but the two of them together with Bell and Robbi imagine that, my Dad would also throw in Peter Doherty who he always says was better than Bell

PAUL'S PERSONAL MESSAGE TO ALL CITY FANS

As most of you are aware, on Friday 5th January I reluctantly announced my retirement from football after a long struggle against injury. Since that day I have been touched and overwhelmed by all the letters and messages of goodwill that I have received fron City supporters and I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. The support that you have given me over the last five years has been amazing, and it is encouragement like this which has made my decision to retire even harder to bear. The fact that I have never once felt like the 'forgotten man' of City is a testament to the faith and patience shown by fans, as well as various players and managers who have supported me all along the way.

I'd like to also extend a very special thank-you to Tudor and Steve Thomas who have sponsored me over the years and have both been a great source of strength.

I think it's important for me to briefly explain what events led to my decision to retire. First of all, I need to stress that it was never a case of 'knowing all along' that the injury would eventually defeat me. Despite the numerous operations and a succession of setbacks I was always geared up for a return to the game, and until very recently the possibility was always there. However, whilst training over the Christmas period my knee began to swell badly and became incredibly painful. I went to hospital to have it checked out, and the X-ray revealed alarming results. I was shocked to be informed that my shinbone was bending to such an extent that I'd have to undergo a serious operation to rectify it, and I was effectively told by the surgeon there and then that it would be in my best interests to quit football.

The past couple of weeks have been like a blur to me, a mixture of regret and resignation as I finally come to terms with the fact that my playing days are over. However, it's not all doom and gloom; I'm remaining optimistic for the future and am already planning to get myself involved in football on the medical side of things. The Chairman has also kindly allowed me a testimonial game sometime this year which will be the ideal occasion for me to thank you all en masse.

Although things may not have worked out as planned, I will still look back on my career at City with affection and will try to remember the good times I spent at Maine Road rather than all the operations and rehabilitation. I was a proud Manchester Ciy fan even before I started playing for the Club, and that's something that will never change. Even though I am no longer with City, I will still look forward to cheering on the lads in blue for many years to come.

Kind regards to you all,
Paul Lake

Sad for such tallent to go to waste

spacecadet said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
1, It's hard to say with Lake how good he could have been, because at City the nature of the club back then he played all over the park(few people remember, but he was playing CF when injured at Boro). I watched almost every game, he played for City, home and away but if you stuck a gun to my head, I would say he was a 20-30 cap man for England.

2, Kinkladze I think was a bit like Cantona, in that to be successful at club level the clubs that he played for had to alter what they did to fit him in and unlike Cantona he wasn't lucky enough to find a club that where good enough and desperate enough to showcase his talents.

Watched most of his games home/away as well but I am pretty certain he got the bad injury at home v Villa (night match)

He did when no one was near him he just fell over. Crying shame.

Kinkladze was a wizard.

<a class="postlink" href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I7BuNzATQsw&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I7BuNzATQ ... re=related</a>

I can't remember much of Lake as I was quite young then. I remember him swallowing his tongue against Leicester and he was instrumental in the 5-1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.