Paul Lake - part 2 of interview P6

City_Shirts

Champions 37,68,12,14,18,19,21,22, 23, 24, ?
NEW EPISODE: Paul Lake – Tales of Blue – Part One -

The former City skipper called in at MCFC MW Shirts HQ to share his City memories of growing up a blue, his first City kit, Peter Barnes, 81 Cup Final, FA Youth Cup, Debut, England 90, Promotion 89 & 5-1 Derby Day.

SUBSCRIPTION IS FREE WITH NEW SUBSCIBERS WELCOME

Top man. Never forget him playing centre half at maine Road and playing a pass out to a city winger from City's D under pressure from the attacking team. It might have been his last game...under Howard Kendall? Versus Villa? My memory not great but I'd never seen a defender pass a ball with so much accuracy with so little time to think. Absolutely brilliant.

Top man. Never forget him playing centre half at maine Road and playing a pass out to a city winger from City's D under pressure from the attacking team. It might have been his last game...under Howard Kendall? Versus Villa? My memory not great but I'd never seen a defender pass a ball with so much accuracy with so little time to think. Absolutely brilliant.
Yes he could play anywhere but his ability was best shown in the middle. Could do everything including gliding past an opponent like he wasn’t there.

A player ahead of his time. There weren't many players around like him in the 80's before the Premier league. Very classy on the ball and could play in multiple positions.
I suppose we'll never know what his best position would have been but I reckon he would have made a brilliant Rodriesque, number 6.
I was at Villa away in 1990 when we won our first top flight away game in 4 years when Villa were serious title contenders. Lake played full back and took the piss out of Ormondroyd who had been having a really good season.
The way club handled his knee injury was just another sign of how badly run and amateurish they were in those days.

Haven't watched the video yet, but will as soon as I have a chance. I always love listening to Lakey speak about City. He's invariably informed and interesting, but at the same time his genuine passion for the club always shines through. He's often truly inspiring.

I remember him being regularly linked in the media, before his injury, with other clubs. The rumoured fee was always well in excess of GBP 2 million, which was really big money in those days. Lakey himself has always said that he wouldn't ever have wished to leave, because playing for City was all he ever wanted. I don't doubt his sincerity, because he certainly loves the club. Nonetheless, such was the way MCFC was run at the time that I think we'd have needed to cash in at some point had he stayed fit.

However, I'm not sure he'd have gone to another English club. Italy was the top league by far back then, and offered salaries of maybe four or five times what the leading PL sides of the time could pay. If he'd fulfilled his potential, it doesn't seem fanciful to me to suggest that he'd have been comfortably good enough for an outfit such as Roma or Inter to have come in with an eyewatering bid.

He'd have been told by the club that he was helping City by generating a huge fee for us, while at the same time making himself financially secure for life and playing in the league where the global superstars of the era turned out. I think it would have been too good to turn down, so that's the fate that I suspect his injury denied him.

Oh, and whenever there used to be a thread on Paul Lake on here, there used to be a contrarian who'd pitch in with an opposing view of his merits as a player. No doubt he'll be along soon to explain how wrong we all are and why Lakey was just vastly overrated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.