Paul Power | Thoughts, memories, recollections, ratings?

Harlaching Sky Blue

Hello all, some talk of the Tottingham 1981 cup final replay on another thread. Just wondering what is everyones thoughts on Paul Power. He was a long loyal servant at a time where there was loads of swapping and changing but hes never mentioned when talking about our legends. He stayed with us when we went down, was he THAT loyal or was he not good enough to be sold?? He was a stallwart for us nearly always in the team but never mentioned getting near the England side so just wondering how good he was?

He was skipper when my Dad first started taking me so I thought he was ace (although god knows what "knowledge" that was based on at the time) He also managed to swindle my Dad and I tickets for the Everton FACup QF replay at Maine Road through a mad connection of my mams hairdressing business so Im quite biassed. Just wondered what everyones thoughts are / were on him.

I thought he was a damn decent player, especially when you look at some footage of him, he had a cracking left foot with a hell of a cross and scored some vital goals during our Wembley run in 1981.

He also got himself a move to a pretty damn good Everton side when he left City.

I was too young to really see strengths and weaknesses. I couldnt see beyond the cool tash. Just interested in other peoples thoughts...

Hello all, some talk of the Tottingham 1981 cup final replay on another thread. Just wondering what is everyones thoughts on Paul Power. He was a long loyal servant at a time where there was loads of swapping and changing but hes never mentioned when talking about our legends. He stayed with us when we went down, was he THAT loyal or was he not good enough to be sold?? He was a stallwart for us nearly always in the team but never mentioned getting near the England side so just wondering how good he was?

He was skipper when my Dad first started taking me so I thought he was ace (although god knows what "knowledge" that was based on at the time) He also managed to swindle my Dad and I tickets for the Everton FACup QF replay at Maine Road through a mad connection of my mams hairdressing business so Im quite biassed. Just wondered what everyones thoughts are / were on him.

I thought he was a damn decent player, especially when you look at some footage of him, he had a cracking left foot with a hell of a cross and scored some vital goals during our Wembley run in 1981.

He also got himself a move to a pretty damn good Everton side when he left City.

I was too young to really see strengths and weaknesses. I couldnt see beyond the cool tash. Just interested in other peoples thoughts...
I'll always love him for the free kick against Ipswich in the FA cup SF but he was a very good player for us that didn't always get the recognition that he deserved.

when he scored against ipswich in the fa cup semi- final, the whole of the holte end went mental [ city end ] but what a leader and player, seen and talked to a couple of times at city and i always ask what his feeling was at villa that day

As usual left city. Went to Everton won the league. Had the audacity to come back to Maine Road and bloody score!!!
Steady player always 6/7 -10 every week
Gave many city fans one of the greatest moments of their lives , until a certain Argentinian stepped up

The thing i remember about Power and it shouldn't detract from his loyalty and he was a decent player but it got to a point where a collective groan would come from the kippax when he received the ball, and when he fucked up which he often did, the poor guy was like a rabbit in headlights when the crowd groaned, we made it worse in the kippax, happy days. Decent guy though.

Last edited:
Great player, great bloke and criminally underrated by many Blues. Part of a fantastic midfield with Asa and Gary Owen, I think all left footed? I remember battering Leeds (on the pitch) possibly Boxing Day 1976 ish, he and we were fantastic that day. I think PP was also a trained lawyer? Saw him on the team about 3 years ago and he was happy to have a chat (I think he was happy, I was pissed)

The thing i remember about Power and it shouldn't detract from his loyalty and he was a decent player but it got to a point where a collective groan would come for the kippax when he received the ball, and when he fucked up which he often did, the poor guy was like a rabbit in headlights when the crowd groaned, we made it worse in the kippax, happy days. Decent guy though.
Great when people do that, helps the players so much

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.