Paul Scholes has nice things to say about City and...

There are four things I don't like about our club. The over-sanitised/children aimed feel to "the matchday experience", our badge, the over-use and obsession with Blue Moon, and our atmosphere and seemingly different crowd on Champions League nights.

I think over the season our big atmospheres in the Prem take care of themselves. It's never going to be noisy 19 times but usually in the big games, we're alright (but by no means anything special).

But so far we've had ten home Champions League games and ZERO good atmospheres. That's not good enough!

I thought, when we first entered this competition, that the CL was going to bring some special nights to the Etihad. Some might say "it will when we get to the semi finals", but even in our very first against Napoli there was absolutely no feel of anything being special. It was flat before and during the game. It felt nothing more than a Europa League group game but with a larger crowd. It was the same with the Barça game too. Our first knock-out Champions League game since Fenerbahçe in 1968 and we had a better atmosphere in an early round FL Cup game at home to Scnuthorpe* about five years ago.

Take a look at the 360° camera shot from the Barcelona game. There's one person who isn't just sat or stood there with glum looks on their faces. That's a lad from Wythenshawe who I know who's in South Stand Level 1; he's seemingly clapping and singing. There are loads of other people who look like they'd rather be elsewhere.

What the fuck's that all about?!

Don't get me started on the fanboys of players of other clubs falling over seats as they rush over to get pictures of these players as they come out to warm up. This is in the East Stand, our home section, not the away section. And the large amount of people in the home end who are clearly excited when the visiting team has chances and on two occasions (Plzen and Dortmund) we had fans of the opposition actually up cheering, one Dortmund fan was goading the home fans around him.

Home Champions League games have been the least enjoyable games out of all competitions we've been in, in recent years. I've not enjoyed a single one.

I'm hoping there's going to be a change in this. It might also go some way to improving our average win rate too: played 10, won just 4.

Something that hasn't helped has been the lack of exciting games too. We've played within ourselves in all of the games where the opposition wasn't pretty shit or the group wasn't dead. We didn't make a good show of ourselvelves against Napoli Dortmund Madrid München (the one that meant something) or Barça. So the crowd didn't have anything to cheer about in regards to the performances.

But we still need to make more of these nights anyway, regardless of the performance.

*i spelt Scnuthorpe like that because when you spell it properly it comes out as Scunthorpe - bizarre!

Blue Is the Opposite of Blue said:
Turn the Etihad into a fortress on European nights.

Up until the Barcelona and Bayern games we were unbeaten at home in the Champions' League.

hardly a fortress mate, 4 draws coming from behind, a win in a dead rubber and a last minute winner in another

lies, damn lies and statistics

KippaxCitizen said:
There are four things I don't like about our club. The over-sanitised/children aimed feel to "the matchday experience", our badge, the over-use and obsession with Blue Moon, and our atmosphere and seemingly different crowd on Champions League nights.

I think over the season our big atmospheres in the Prem take care of themselves. It's never going to be noisy 19 times but usually in the big games, we're alright (but by no means anything special).

But so far we've had ten home Champions League games and ZERO good atmospheres. That's not good enough!

I thought, when we first entered this competition, that the CL was going to bring some special nights to the Etihad. Some might say "it will when we get to the semi finals", but even in our very first against Napoli there was absolutely no feel of anything being special. It was flat before and during the game. It felt nothing more than a Europa League group game but with a larger crowd. It was the same with the Barça game too. Our first knock-out Champions League game since Fenerbahçe in 1968 and we had a better atmosphere in an early round FL Cup game at home to Scnuthorpe* about five years ago.

Take a look at the 360° camera shot from the Barcelona game. There's one person who isn't just sat or stood there with glum looks on their faces. That's a lad from Wythenshawe who I know who's in South Stand Level 1; he's seemingly clapping and singing. There are loads of other people who look like they'd rather be elsewhere.

Don't get me started on the fanboys of players of other clubs falling over seats as they rush over to get pictures of these players as they come out to warm up. This is in the East Stand, our home section, not the away section. And the large amount of people in the home end who are clearly excited when the visiting team has chances and on two occasions (Plzen and Dortmund) we had fans of the opposition actually up cheering, one Dortmund fan was goading the home fans around him.

Home Champions League games have been the least enjoyable games out of all competitions we've been in, in recent years. I've not enjoyed a single one.

I'm hoping there's going to be a change in this. It might also go some way to improving our average win rate too: played 10, won just 4.

Something that hasn't helped has been the lack of exciting games too. We've played within ourselves in all of the games where the opposition wasn't pretty shit or the group wasn't dead. We didn't make a good show of ourselvelves against Napoli Dortmund Madrid München (the one that meant something) or Barça. So the crowd didn't have anything to cheer about in regards to the performances.

But we still need to make more of these nights anyway, regardless of the performance.

*i spelt Scnuthorpe like that because when you spell it properly it comes out as c**t - bizarre!

totally agree with you (bar the badge and the bluemoon comments)

I think some fans have to realise this is the pinnacle of club football. I love watching us against the best teams in Europe and I think both the team and the fans have to give it 100% this year.

I'd rather read the honest punditry of Paul Scholes or G Neville than some of the pernicious ass lickers who masquerade as pundits such as Redknapp. When they are biased and to be fair (what to rags?!) they are far more balanced than most of the rest. At least their bias is honest! I wouldn't say that baout P Neville though...don't get me started.

I notice Scholes has a little jibe about the crowd on CL nights. he has a point on it though. It is too nice. We and our team have seemed overawed when Napoli, Dortmund, Bayern, Real Madrid and Barca came to town. We need to be comfortable with that and get behind our team and give the oppo the sort of verbal stick that we gave Liverpool (ok, Iniesta or Xavi haven't sliped like Stevie Me but we coud be a lot more partisan).

I just wish all these ex-footballers would f* off and go and run a pub like in the good old days. The vast majority of them are so blind to teams other than those they have played for, it's unreal.

oakiecokie said:
Helmet Cole said:
johnnytapia said:
A brilliant player undoubtedly. A writer of balanced articles? Do me a fucking favour. Written for him. All of it.

Never ever forget his and the rest of those c**ts' reactions when they beat us in League Cup semi - they went fucking berserk, him, Fletcher, Rooney etc. Thought they'd prevented us from winning that much sought-after pot. They had. For one year.

Fuck him. Fuck them.

Cheers for bringing me back to earth. I was about to give the guy credit for being a professional and unbiased pundit, but you have made me give my head a wobble and remember a few facts about the c**t(s). Still a fair article mind.

Hey I don`t like the fuckers, but sometimes you have to be fair and balanced in opinions and irrespective of how much shite they gave us,its fucking nice to hear them treating us with far more respect than they ever did.Thats why I have time for Neville,one of the best pundits going and in all honesty for someone like Scholes to give an interview like that,must have really stuck in his fucking throat.
But fair play to the lad and an immense player,until his later years caught up with him.
As I said before,its the other cnut I hate with a passion ... Wio.

I hate United as much as anyone else and am enjoying their pain. I hated Scholes and G Neville as players, but rated them also. I'd have loved to have seen Scholes in a City shirt, but it turns out he probably wouldn't play for us due to his allegiances.

That doesn't mean I have to hate Scholes or G Neville as men. They and Souness for all their allegiances are the most honest and fairest pundits around. It's the pernicious rag/$ky 4 ass lickin' punditry of then likes of Redknapp/Claridge/Motson/Ian McGarry/most people on Sunday Supplement that is the worst. Phil Neville is so biased that he's a joke, but with a face like that..

I've heard from Blues I know that G Neville is a decent bloke: down to earth, happy to trade the friendly cut and thrust of rivalry. I've no issue with that, as much as I detest his club. His uncle is a Blue. He chose red. That's his problem now!

Yes, i hate Wio and Beckman. Is it a accident that the worst snidey little digs come from people who don't come from the environs of Manchester?

The Blue said:
KippaxCitizen said:

*i spelt Scnuthorpe like that because when you spell it properly it comes out as c**t - bizarre!

totally agree with you (bar the badge and the bluemoon comments)

I think some fans have to realise this is the pinnacle of club football. I love watching us against the best teams in Europe and I think both the team and the fans have to give it 100% this year.

I agree as well. I have no idea why it's so bad for the CL games. It's almost like its different people turning up, which did occur for me for a moment. But when you think on how large a proportion of the seats are season ticket holders, it's hardly likely to be that. I know we are a working man's club and most of us are locals (or former locals) so the increased ticket prices are a challenge and especially twice a week and work afterwards and all that. But having forked out to get a ticket and made the effort, why sit there glum faced and not cheering and singing, I have no idea.

I wish I knew how to fix it, because it is rubbish.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.