Pele - was he that good? And why ?

He was brilliant. in his era. Problem is, it's human nature to wonder how he'd do in the modern era, judging how he'd do NOW, using his peak form as a guide. Defences are generally better now.
Defences are far better today but back then you didn't need to be that good, you could just kick the shit out of the opposition's star player and get away with it, that's how Pele was stopped in 1966.

I was only 3 at the time, so I don't recall too much from personal memory. But I thought I read somewhere that Eusebio came in for some harsh treatment. Though not to the same extent as Pele.
Never forgive him for shiting it big time against the rags in 68.

Last edited:
Pele must have been good 70+ hatricks and over 1000 goals - you don't do that if you are not of a certain level.

In my lifetime the best I've seen since watching football late 80's is Zidane - that guy was masterful, his touch and technique out of this world. Maradona obviously also gets a mention but for me I preferred Zidane overall.

I always wondered if he was that good, and my old PE teacher used to bang on about that time he dummied a through ball to let it go past the keeper, but he missed then, didn't he ?

But then I remember this;

Still Maradona for me, though.

Brilliant awareness, even down to the fact he hit it the opposite side of the goal knowing the covering defender was heading to the near post .

Pele must have been good 70+ hatricks and over 1000 goals - you don't do that if you are not of a certain level.

In my lifetime the best I've seen since watching football late 80's is Zidane - that guy was masterful, his touch and technique out of this world. Maradona obviously also gets a mention but for me I preferred Zidane overall.

I have never understood the love in with Zidane. Sure he looked great for France at times but at club level he was very inconsistant. Didn't assist or score much.

Maradona the best player of all time. He proved it in 86. Never seen a player who was as unplayable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.